Views
Helpful
Replies

Fabric manual port changes

dm2020
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

For host onboarding within a fabric, we have the option to configure the switchport using either 'Port Assignment' within DNA Center or by dynamically returning the IP pool VLAN ID/name from ISE. Is it also possible to configure the switchport manually if needed by logging into the fabric edge switch and configuring 'switchport access VLAN XXX' or via a DNA Center template?

4 Replies 4

jalejand
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You can configure it manually, but DNAC might overwritte it (considering that DNAC uses a "default" auth template on every port, even it its set to No Auth). Templates would be good.

Scott Hodgdon
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

dm2020,

If you need to do this, we recommend using Templates. Either way, you should test this in a lab or a non-critical area of the network before deploying network-wide.

Cheers,
Scott Hodgdon

Senior Technical Marketing Engineer

Enterprise Networking and Cloud Group

GoncaloContente
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,  you can configure the port manually,  just don't forget to save the conf on the switch and then do a resync on DNA,  this will help to maintain the device in compliance. We had to tweak the authentication policy-maps and DNA didn't replace my config. However, I think, not fully sure, but if you reprovision the device DNA will replace your config. Despite that I personally do not recommend manual configuration, you won't run into any problem if you do it,  but by leaving the vlan to be dynamically assigned you ensure that your access port  configuration is consistent across all your network devices.

HTH

Just wanted to add here that starting from DNA Center Release you have the possibility to generate a configuration preview as described in the Cisco DNA Center User Guide https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/cloud-systems-management/network-automation-and-management/dna-center/2-1-2/user_guide/b_cisco_dna_center_ug_2_1_2/b_cisco_dna_center_ug_2_1_1_chapter_01101.html

So it will easier to track if some of your manual done configuration will be overwritten by DNA-C 

.:|:..:|:.Please rate helpful posts.:|:..:|:.