cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Getting started with DNA Center Fabric

DAVID
Level 3
Level 3

I will be replacing our existing campus network consisting of two Cisco Catayst 6807 XL chasis switches and 6800ia fex switches with new Catalyst 9500 switches to replace the 6807's and Catalyst 9300's in the closets replacing the 6800ia's.  We are just getting started with DNAC which I have running 2.1.2 release and a few switches that I have placed in DNAC.

My question and my opportunity is whether this would be a perfect time to consider SD-Access and to create the fabric since I have essentially a clean brownfield environment to build on but I do not want to create a major network and or security hassle that we are not ready for. 

We are still in the planning process but would hope that this would be a prime opportunity to at least start on the foundation without committing to any other changes such as SGT's, etc at this time

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

inderdeeps
Level 4
Level 4

Well I suggest not to go directly to SD-Access. First go with the Automation and Assurance story by deploying DNA C and slowly move to fabric as SD-Access. The reason is, there is a huge change in the architecture like moving away from VLANs towards SGTs and the overlay concept.

Regards

Inderdeep Singh

www.thenetworkdna.com

Cisco Champion 2020

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

kristoff1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi David,

For the moment SDA is best an all or nothing story. 

So if all devices are SDA capable and you have a L3 underlay network then you are ready to go.

But SDA is not a hobby project that you enable on a sunday afternoon. 

You need to think about your design and layout to have all benefits of a SDA fabric.

But the situation that you describe and you can build your new network next to the old one is a perfect migration scenario for SDA.

Kind regards,

Kristoff 

inderdeeps
Level 4
Level 4

Well I suggest not to go directly to SD-Access. First go with the Automation and Assurance story by deploying DNA C and slowly move to fabric as SD-Access. The reason is, there is a huge change in the architecture like moving away from VLANs towards SGTs and the overlay concept.

Regards

Inderdeep Singh

www.thenetworkdna.com

Cisco Champion 2020

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: