Views
Helpful
Replies

Intermediate node SD Access

Pascal Lacroix
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

i have a question about the number of intermediate nodes in a SD Access fabric. Can i add two intermediate nodes behind each other? So you would get:

Location A Border Node --> Location B Intermediate Node --> location C Intermediate node --> Location D Fabric Edge Nodes

This because the fibers/switches of location D comes together at Location C and there are no fibers between location C and location A. 

See attachment voor network overview.

kind regards,

Pascal

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Technically i do not see any issue on this design. ( how you claim in DNAC about node important)

Check if this is feasible, Intermediate node or distribution ( is this single switch, what model ?) 

Look at four-tier :

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/solutions/CVD/Campus/cisco-sda-design-guide.html#EdgeNode

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Technically i do not see any issue on this design. ( how you claim in DNAC about node important)

Check if this is feasible, Intermediate node or distribution ( is this single switch, what model ?) 

Look at four-tier :

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/solutions/CVD/Campus/cisco-sda-design-guide.html#EdgeNode

BB

Hi Balaji,

thanks for your answer. We are going to use a Cat9500-16X or Cat9300X-24Y as an intermediate node.

If i look at the four-tier model, then i should be able to connect two intermediate nodes (distribution 1 and distribution 2) behind each other. Correct?

regards,

Pascal

I will advise having Cat 9500 as an intermittent node (compare to Cat9300), again this is pure your decision.

yes, four-tier is what you looking to deploy. that is valid.

BB

ok, i will take that in consideration.

thx!

Roddie Hasan
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Pascal,

There are no restrictions on the type or number of Intermediate nodes in your SDA fabric nor are they any restrictions on connectivity.  The only function of an Intermediate node is to be able to route packets between other fabric nodes, so as long as it is capable of routing and meets your connectivity and speed requirements, any topology/model is supported.

FWIW - Technically, there is no actual Intermediate node role in SDA, and DNAC will not show a specific feature for you to enable.  It is literally just a device that facilitates connectivity in your topology.

I hope this helps!

Roddie

Hi Roddie,

thanks for your answer. That's clear to me.

kind regards,
Pascal

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: