Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

L2Handoff

I have two border nodes playing the role of external + internal border first I have a migration phase that I have to keep the same IP addressing so I configured the second border committing L2Handoff it asks to change the VTP in server mode to Transparent mode so I changed the VTP mode manually so when I finished the migration I deleted the L2Handoff but the VTP mode remains Transparent when I change to the initial mode (server) it does not accept the configuration because there are extended VLANs

3 Replies 3

jalejand
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Change to VTP version 3 and try again.

Border3L2HO#show vtp status | i Operating
Feature VLAN:
--------------
VTP Operating Mode : Transparent

Border3L2HO#conf t
Enter configuration commands, one per line. End with CNTL/Z.
Border3L2HO(config)#vtp mode server
Device mode cannot be VTP Server for VLANS because extended VLAN(s) exist

Border3L2HO(config)#vtp domain CISCO
Changing VTP domain name from NULL to CISCO
Border3L2HO(config)#vtp version 3
Border3L2HO(config)#vtp mode serv

Border3L2HO#show vtp status | i Operating
VTP Operating Mode : Server

kristoff1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Oussama,

Why would you want to place your border in VTP server mode?

Your Network is routed so i would place VTP in mode off or keep it in transparent mode.

Server mode has no advantage in a SDA environment in my opinion

L2 handoff border has a trunk link connected to non-fabric switched network, meaning there might exist the advantage of advertising new VLANs created from DNAC that will exist inside the fabric to the legacy switched network. This is the case of L2 handoff not used purely for migration but as permanent solution.

Regards

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: