Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus 7700 as a Border Node

kkaminsk
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi folks,

The SDA Compatibility Matrix calls out that the Nexus 7700 SUP2E/3E with M3 line cards can be used as an external border node only.  In 1.3 when you configure a border node you then select internal, external, or both.

Does the N7700 support only a border node with external? No internal or both then?

If yes, why? what is the limitation on the Nexus 7700 platform that is preventing this?

Thanks, 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

tahuja
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

N7700 supports External Border role only.

For Internal Border role, the import route functionality is needed. The N7K code do not support it with Fabric, as of now.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

tahuja
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

N7700 supports External Border role only.

For Internal Border role, the import route functionality is needed. The N7K code do not support it with Fabric, as of now.

ChuckMcF
Level 1
Level 1

We bought a 7706 when we were initially setting up our SDA network. The intention was to use the 7706 as the Ext Border Node/Control Plane Node. In the end we bought two 9500-16X switches and made them the EBN/CPNs and made the 7706 our Internal Router/Core Switch (Legacy network outside of SDA A).

At the time (a little over two years ago) support for SDA was behind the Catalyst switching platforms. It’s a mix of the NXOS platform and the focused direction of the Cisco SDA team. 

I assume these limitations still exist in some ways. IMHO I’d look to place the 7706 outside of the network and use a 9K series switch for your SDA network. Just my $0.02 but I hope it helps. 
Chuck