Views
Helpful
Replies

SD-Access:definitions

gornication
Level 1
Level 1

Hi!
Campus fabric solution (control plane, data plane, management plane, policy plane)
Fabric overlay solution (control plane, data plane, management plane, policy plane)

Fabric overlay              (control plane node, fabric border node, fabric edge node, fabric WLC, intermediate nodes)
SD-Access fabric        (control plane, data plan, policy plane)

SD-Access architecture (DNA, DNA, ISE, SD-Access network, network, switches, routers, wireless, DNA, ISE)
I'm a little confused. Is it all the same?  Is there a WLC in any of this? 

What is SD-Access fabric?

9 Replies 9

jalejand
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Campus Fabric or "Fabric Overlay" is an infrastructure solution (LISP, VXLAN, Device Roles, Host mobility, etc)
SDA Fabric is a Campus Fabric network automated with DNA Center, with the advantage of its integrations (NDP, ISE, Etc).

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
What is SD-Access fabric?

Combination of Campus Fabric + Cisco DNA center (Automation and Assurance)

SD-Access architecture (DNA, DNA, ISE, SD-Access network, network, switches, routers, wireless, DNA, ISE)

Campus Fabric -Key Components

1.Control-Plane based on LISP

2.Data-Plane based on VXLAN

3.Policy-Plane based on CTS  (with ISE and Scalable Groups Tags (SGT))

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Thank you for your responses.

But I have doubts about your definition.
It seems to me that when we add the word "fabric" to the SD-Access, we indicate how the this particular fabric works (it has DNA). But the SD-Access fabric, fabric, campus fabric and the overlay/SDA overlay/campus overlay mean the same thing, namely, routers with configured LISP, VXLAN, NETCONF/RESTCONF. Correct me please.

I must clarify that I have some kind of idea about the SDA, but I am confused in a lot of terms and what components are included in them.

"fabric" is a very loose term, that is thrown around for various things. Don't fixate too much on the "fabric" term itself. Russ White has a really good breakdown of this, so I suggest reading that - https://rule11.tech/fabric-versus-network-whats-difference/

SD-Access, as others have stated, is just an evolution from Campus Fabric. Both were/are underlying architectural solutions - it is a coming together of multiple technologies and products, to form a cohesive solution for the Enterprise space. I took an introductory session for CCIE candidates - it is a very bare bones introduction to SDA and might be helpful for you as well. It can be found here - https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/s/learning-plan-detail-standard?ltui__urlRecordId=a1c3i0000015c1OAAQ&ltui__urlRedirect=learning-plan-detail-standard

If you go to the bottom of the page, you should see the SDA session (broken down into smaller nuggets). This introduces you to a lot of the terminologies in play with SDA and what each of it means.

If you still have questions, please feel free to ask more.

Campus Fabric was old Term, now SD-Access ( DNAC is a just orchestration tool which give you the ability to automate and assurance of your network )  DNAC does not participate any of your data planes.

DNAC (use  Kubernetes and Dockers behind the scene to automate everything using many models as you mentioned).

As part of SD-Access deployment, you need to just reachability of the device, the rest of the DNAC can be taken care of all the configuration high level.

Device onboarding can be done Lan automation for the basic IP and username password to hand over to DNAC.

is this make sense?

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

gornication
Level 1
Level 1

I am still looking for a definition of SD-Access fabric that would allow me to tell what is a part of the campus fabric, network overlay, SDA fabric fabric and what is not.
Is the access point part of the factory? Why yes?
 The WLC is external to the fabric and connects to the SD-Access fabric through an internal border node(Official Cert Guide) or WLC and AP both are part of SD-Access Fabric? Why?

Is the access point part of the factory? Why yes?
Yes, they are part of an EID space which is part of the fabric, they encapsulate and de-encapsulate VXLAN packets from the access tunnel created between the Edge and the AP.

he WLC is external to the fabric and connects to the SD-Access fabric through an internal border node(Official Cert Guide) or WLC and AP both are part of SD-Access Fabric? Why?

WLCs are often placed physically outside of the fabric, but it acts a LISP node, as it registers wireless users to the Control Plane, it has a lisp session, fabric VNIDs, etc. It is part of the fabric too.

AP is VTEP?
VXLAN works inside the access tunnel from the fabric edge node to the AP(or user edge)?
Could you please leave a link describing this?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: