Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SDA Limitations for 6807-XL

Hello all,

I'm in the process of spec'ing out equipment for a possible SDA roll-out in somewhat of a green field deployment.  We would replace all our access layer switches with C9300 stackables at the edge.  We're running a pair of 6807-XL switches in VSS as distro/core switches.  I've read that for the 6807-XL running the Sup2T the recommended IOS image is 15.5(1)SY5 which is what we're currently running in production.  I've also checked the SDA compatibility matrix and found that the 6807 can operate as a control-plane and fabric border node under this same image.  I've spoken to our Cisco rep during a monthly scheduled call and they advised that there were some limitations for SDA with the 6807s.  However, we weren't told nor can I find what those limitations are.  I understand that the replacement for the 6807 is the Catalyst 9500 but our budget may not allow for the replacement.  My question is, aside from the hardware architectural differences between the C6807 & C9500, are there any limitations to the function and operation of SDA on the 6800 series switches running as control-plan and fabric border nodes and if so, what are they?

Thanks!

Terence

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Terence,

These are usually called out in the Release Notes, but I see for Release 2.1.2.5 the notes are not correct (unfortunately). I have requested that they be updated. In the meantime, it is highly recommended that your partner, or Cisco account team if no partner is involved, submit your HLD to our Design Desk for final review once the HLD is complete. They should have the link for this as it is not available directly for end customers.

Here are the Release Notes for 2.1.2.5 : https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/cloud-systems-management/network-automation-and-management/dna-center/2-1-2/release_notes/b_cisco_dna_center_rn_2_1_2.html#concept_ttn_df3_1kb . Table 9 has new SDA features.

Cheers,
Scott Hodgdon

Senior Technical Marketing Engineer

Enterprise Networking and Cloud Group

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

we only go by the cisco document and their support. as per the document Cat 6800 can act as the control plane. but not that any one mentioned or I aware it has issues ( so this need to go back to cisco what is underline issues ? to get more clarity to protect your investment)

image.png

The major difference is Cisco's new silicon ASIC Cat 9K vs Cat 6K and new IOS XE code.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

I haven't heard back from my rep but I'm just curious as to what the limitations they spoke of is.  I don't know if it's more performance or feature specific.

@Scott Hodgdon given good justification and a more elaborated answers, make sense.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Scott Hodgdon
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Terence,

Will you require any of the following :

Wake-On-LAN, IP Directed Broadcast (for silent hosts), Embedded WLC (no WLC appliance or VM)

What will the client / device scale for wired and wireless hosts in the fabric be ?

Also keep in mind that the End of Software Maintenance for Sup2T is Oct 31, 2021. This means no bug fixes for any software defects other than security-related issues: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-6500-series-switches/eos-eol-notice-c51-743096.html .

Cheers,
Scott Hodgdon

Scott,

One of our teams have been exploring WoL and we do use IP Directed Broadcast for PXE booting PCs that need to be imaged.  Our WLC would be a physical appliance (ie 9800 WLC) rather than virtual.  Not sure what you're asking in reference to the client/device scale.

As for the Sup engine, I think that would be an easy fix that would obviously require downtime and that would be to upgrade to the Sup6T.  However, if our budget allows for it, the best option would be to replace the 6807 with 2 pairs of 9500s for our environment.

I'm currently in the planning stages and nothing is set for the company to go this route.  I'm trying to justify it at this point but if we can use existing equipment without any major limitations, I think I have a better shot at moving the company towards SDA.

Terence,

We just added IP Directed Broadcast support with SD-Access in DNA Center 2.1.2.5, but the Borders and Fabric Edges must be Catalyst 9K switches. 

Cheers,
Scott Hodgdon

Ok so that's the kind of limitation I need to be aware of but I can't find any documentation that lists this or perhaps I'm looking in the wrong place.  Can you share a link that lists these limitations & restrictions?

This is the kind of info I need so that we account for as many caveats as possible.

Thanks in advance!

Terence,

These are usually called out in the Release Notes, but I see for Release 2.1.2.5 the notes are not correct (unfortunately). I have requested that they be updated. In the meantime, it is highly recommended that your partner, or Cisco account team if no partner is involved, submit your HLD to our Design Desk for final review once the HLD is complete. They should have the link for this as it is not available directly for end customers.

Here are the Release Notes for 2.1.2.5 : https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/cloud-systems-management/network-automation-and-management/dna-center/2-1-2/release_notes/b_cisco_dna_center_rn_2_1_2.html#concept_ttn_df3_1kb . Table 9 has new SDA features.

Cheers,
Scott Hodgdon

Thanks, Scott!  This is my fear when it comes to planning for these types of solutions.  I do depend heavily on release notes and am concerned that the release notes for DNAC/SDA is incorrect.  I'll certainly ask my reps and reseller to advise of any and all limitations for the current release so that we can make educated and informed decisions.

Thanks again, Scott!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: