Views
Helpful
Replies

3.3(x) to 4.1(x) upgrade and licenses

jeffrey.jenkins
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am preparing to perform a code upgrade on two of our MDS 9513's. Each is currently at code level 3.3(5) and we are upgrading to code level 4.1(1c). I have licenses already installed on the switches. Does upgrading to the 4.1(x) level invalidate my current licenses? Do I need to get a license key specifically for 4.1(x)?

dkhs2310# show license usage
Feature                      Ins  Lic   Status Expiry Date Comments
                                 Count
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FM_SERVER_PKG                 No    -   Unused             -
MAINFRAME_PKG                 No    -   Unused             -
ENTERPRISE_PKG                Yes   -   In use never       -
DMM_FOR_SSM_PKG               No    0   Unused             -
SAN_EXTN_OVER_IP              No    0   Unused             -
PORT_ACTIVATION_PKG           No    0   Unused             -
SME_FOR_IPS_184_PKG           No    0   Unused             -
STORAGE_SERVICES_184          No    0   Unused             -
SAN_EXTN_OVER_IP_18_4         No    0   Unused             -
SAN_EXTN_OVER_IP_IPS2         No    0   Unused             -
SAN_EXTN_OVER_IP_IPS4         No    0   Unused             -
STORAGE_SERVICES_SSN16        No    0   Unused             -
10G_PORT_ACTIVATION_PKG       No    0   Unused             -
STORAGE_SERVICES_ENABLER_PKG  No    0   Unused             -
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks

Jeffrey

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Gary Ross
Level 4
Level 4

Licenses are SAN-OS/NX-OS level unaware.

As new modules/features come out that may require a license to use them, the feature will show up in newer versions of SAN-OS/NX-OS.  Your license is, however, for that switch and that switch only.  You can't freely move licenses around between switches.

BTW, in my opinion, I would stay away from the the 4.1.x level of NX-OS and look at going to at least a 4.2.x level of NX-OS.  We've hit bugs on 4.1.1b and 4.1.3a on all of our 9513's and 9222i's.  The bugs we hit in 4.1.1b caused a supervisor in one of our 9513's to go offline for 20 minutes (scared the h*ll out of me) and another bug caused our 18/4 modules running SANtap to reload at random.

Hope this helps.

Gary

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Gary Ross
Level 4
Level 4

Licenses are SAN-OS/NX-OS level unaware.

As new modules/features come out that may require a license to use them, the feature will show up in newer versions of SAN-OS/NX-OS.  Your license is, however, for that switch and that switch only.  You can't freely move licenses around between switches.

BTW, in my opinion, I would stay away from the the 4.1.x level of NX-OS and look at going to at least a 4.2.x level of NX-OS.  We've hit bugs on 4.1.1b and 4.1.3a on all of our 9513's and 9222i's.  The bugs we hit in 4.1.1b caused a supervisor in one of our 9513's to go offline for 20 minutes (scared the h*ll out of me) and another bug caused our 18/4 modules running SANtap to reload at random.

Hope this helps.

Gary

We successfully performed the upgrade without any licensing issues.

All licenses were still properly installed and functional at the new

OS level.

Thanks

Jeffrey