cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Adding a zone name to existing default zone

amyh00001
Level 1
Level 1

We have a very small environment. we have a Cisco MDS-9124 FC switch that connects our ESXi servers to our SAN. 

I have added a new ESXi server to our environment, I have plugged in the FC cable to the switch and the switch person added the new HBA to the zone. However, when I run the command "show zone active" I don't see that new zone name. 

Also, our previous tech that handled most of this retired and we have no notes. I don't have access to download the Fabric Manager at this time (working on it) and I need this new host to connect to our SAN very urgently. I have been doing all the research can I and I still get now results. I can see the HBA on the vSphere software but it doesn't match the HP server HBA number that is stamped on the card. Is this an issue? 

I did add both pwwn as a zone member to cover it. I have sent the zoneset activate name command multiple times...I still see an old HBA in our SAN software as available (But it isn't as I have disconnected and supposedly it is deleted as a member of the zone)

It really seems to me that we are just missing a simple activation or something between the switch and the SAN. I would appreciate any advice as soon as someone is able to! My project deadline was a week ago!

10 Replies 10

dynamoxxx
Level 5
Level 5

you need to verify that zone with the host and storage has been added to the active zone set.  I assume you know what your zoneset name is

1) zoneset name <zonesetnamehere> vsan XX (where XX is your VSAN number)

2) member <zonename>

now that zone has been added to the zoneset name, we are going to activate it

1) zoneset activate name <zonesetnamehere> vsan XX

2) show zoneset active

@dynamoxxx

Thank you for the quick response. Yes I have done steps 1 and 2

We of course did not set up this switch and unfortunately the notes we were left with were  worthless and this is our production site (we don't have a test site) and this is where all of our data lives so I am being extra cautious...

So what I believe is part of the issue is this is the default zone, I believe, it is called Primary-zoneset. 

I can see my new zone name and I can see the fcalias that is all correct. 

When I do a show zone status I get this that makes me think it is something easy...

Full Zoning Database: Zonesets: 1    Zones: 12   Aliases: 8

Active Zoning Database: Zonesets: 1    Zones: 10

I want the Active database to update to see the new zone. I do get a message when I do the command: zoneset activate name [ZonesetName] vsan X

that one of the zones is empty which is correct (I think) cause they were suppose to delete an older PWWN

I am open to more suggestions other then starting over!

What is the output from "sh zoneset a active" ..somewhere in the output it should show zoneset name 

@dynamoxxx

right...the zoneset name is Primary-Zoneset

It does show 10 active zones

It doesn't show my 2 zones that I had them create but they do show up if I do command: show zoneset

All zones look like they should but they are not active....how do I activate them...the activate command I mentioned didn't do anything

you need to add them to the zoneset first

zoneset name Primary-Zoneset vsan XX

member <zonenameyoucreated>

then you activate

zoneset activate name Primary-Zoneset vsan XX

that's it, there is nothing else to do.

@dynamoxxx

I know...that is what I have been trying to do and it is not working. See if you follow these steps I did:

> show zoneset

zoneset name Primary Zoneset vsan 1

All 12 of the zone names show up with their fcalias

> Show zoneset active

zoneset name Primary Zoneset vsan 1

Only 10 of the zone names show up with their fcalias

> zoneset activate name Primary-Zoneset vsan 1

One or more zones do not have members (I expect this as it is true)

> Show zoneset active

No change in output :-(

Is that zone with out a member causing an issue?

I think  I may have found something helpful in troubleshooting? The command:

show flogi database vsan 1 shows the wrong Port name and node name. I don't have a clue how to update the port config

show flogi database show's what's logged-in to the switch from the host side. It should be the WWN you see in vSphere.

@dynamoxxx

I don't know what to say....I need a break...8 hours of this is not helping my brain...something that seems so simple I just cannot think of what is causing it to not present to the SAN ISE1400 software so I can assign it the appropriate datastores...once that is done I am done!