Views
Helpful
Replies

C9509 Fabric Switch

enehring
Level 1
Level 1

I need to verify the following capability of this switch we have installed:

We have a source server that needs to connect via Fibre to the SAN switch (9509) then IP to the SAN Array (ISCSI) target which has a 1 GB interface. All this is being done with the same data center floor space.

Is this possible on the 9509? I know it is in reverse, but not sure about this way. If it is possible, what are the components we would need in order for this to work properly?

thanks,

Ed

3 Replies 3

dakester
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Ed,

The MDS switch allows IP hosts to access Fibre Channel storage using the iSCSI protocol, not FC host access to iSCSI storage.

Maybe the host already has an Ethernet NIC so you can run iSCSI to iSCSI.

MDS 9000 iSCSI

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/datacenter/mds9000/sw/5_0/configuration/guides/ipsvc/nxos/ciscsi.html

Good Question.

Regards,

David

Hi David,

Thanks for this quick reply. As far as I know at this time the only connection available from the server is FC. I will verify for sure again.

But if this is the case and there is only FC from the server, what options do we have to make this connection happen?

Thanks

Ed

verifying this but believe the server is solaris 8, and to do the iSCSI to iSCSI, we need an iscsi driver to do that. It's my understanding  sun did not have one until solaris 10 update 2.

I do believe cisco has one for solaris 8 but not sure costs for this vs another possible solution.

Hopefully this helps paint the picture a bit more.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: