cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can't copy running config to startup config: Service "fcns" failed to store its configuration (error-id 0xFFFFFFFF).

Greenish30
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, for about  a week i've been unable to save the running config to the startup config on a mds 9513 - 5.2(2).

The error i get in the logs is: 

Service "fcns" failed to store its configuration (error-id 0xFFFFFFFF).

Any ideas? Will i need to reload the switch and copy the config backup back again? Will i run into any trouble? Any things to watch out for?

Thanks.

3 Replies 3

dakester
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

https://tools.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCuc91171

copy run starts fails: Service "fcns" failed to save its configuration
CSCuc91171
Symptom:
NX-OS fails to save the running configuration with the following error message:

Service "fcns" failed to save its configuration

Conditions:
This issue only occurs after the configuration has been saved many times (approximately 500 times). Saving the running configuration is part of an upgrade it can affect upgrades from an affected version of code.

Workaround:
This issue can be cleared in dual supervisor systems by a system switchover. It can be cleared in all platforms by a reload.

Fixed in 5.2(8) and above.

Looks like it. So running a reload will probably do the trick. I am guessing i will need to save running to a file, reload and try to copy from file to startup?

Hi,

Since the switch is a 9513 and has two supervisors, you may want to copy run tftp://a.b.c.d, then do a system switchover.

Regards,

David

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: