cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Nexus 5672UP to HP 8/24 SAN Switch cookbook

Garrison Botts
Level 4
Level 4

I am trying to find information on connecting my 5672UPs to the HP 8/24 San Switch via native Fiber Channel.  All zoning will be done on the HPs.   The 5Ks will be used to connect multiple SANs (along with 77Ks) via IVR...  

I understand there are a number of ways - using interop mode, using npv/npiv, etc...  Is there a cookbook or something that shows the various ways? 

5 Replies 5

dynamoxxx
Level 5
Level 5

Is there a reason you didn't want to put hp into access gateway / npv mode and perform zoning on Nexus ?

@dynamoxxx

The customer has a design that we have to work within.  This is the challenge.. :-)

Walter Dey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

http://h20628.www2.hp.com/km-ext/kmcsdirect/emr_na-c01702940-15.pdf

Appendix D: Cisco MDS SAN switch NPIV configuration 151
Enabling NPIV using the GUI 151
Enabling NPIV using the CLI 153
Appendix E: Connecting VC FlexFabric to Cisco Nexus 50xx and 55xx serie 155
Support information 155
Fibre Channel functions on Nexus 155
Configuration of the VC SAN Fabric 157
Configuration of the Nexus switches 157

We're not using the flex fabric cards... This is the HP 8/24 San Switch that sets in the chassis...

This is irrelevant ! see attachment !

1) The flex fabric module is a FC switch ! and a switch is a switch !

2) this FC switch is configured in NPV mode connecting to a NPIV North bound switch.

In summary: don't use a E port - E port connectivity ! this would require a interop configuration, connecting a Brocade to a Cisco MDS or Nexus switch, which is big challenge.

The NPV / NPIV configuration avoids the interoperation setup; its ANSI standardized and works very well.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: