Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Configure FCoE Nexus 5548UP - UCS 6120

Hi, I am a networking guy and i need to understand which configuration do i need to connect 2 UCS 6120 to my Nexus 5000 (2 with VPC),

I know that i must activate npiv and fcoe feature, and read about creating vsans and vfc, my first question is does anybody have a procedure? (for example: 1.- You must create a vsan, 2.- You need to associate vsan with vlans, 3.- etc)..

Secondly, i have some doubts,

1.- If i have fc interfaces do i need to create an vfc interface? (or this is only if i am going to use the 10G ethernet interfaces?.)

2.- Why i need to bind the vsan to the vlans?.

Please help me with this, the SAN world is new to me!!

Hope you could help me,

Regards,

Juan Pablo Hidalgo

32 Replies 32

Ioizosko,

Since you are using Nexus 5k, you have 2 options:

Option 1:

For Storage traffic, 'dedicate' 1 or more FCoE Uplinks from Fabric Interconnects to N5k

Nexus 5k-1 (1 or more links ) directly connected to Fabric Interconnect A

Nexus 5k-2 (1 or more links ) directly connected to Fabric Interconnect B

For Ethernet traffic, use vPC as shown in the example in previous posts.

Nexus 5k-1 and Nexus 5k-2 (1 or more links ) directly connected to Fabric Interconnect A

Nexus 5k-1 and Nexus 5k-2 (1 or more links ) directly connected to Fabric Interconnect B

Option 2:

If you want Ethernet and Storage traffic to use same links, dedicate 1 or more FCoE Uplinks (Converged uplinks - carry FCoE and Ethernet LAN traffic) from Fabric Interconnects to N5k - ( do not vPC )

Storage and Ethernet -

Nexus 5k-1 (1 or more converged links ) directly connected to Fabric Interconnect A

Nexus 5k-2 (1 or more converged links ) directly connected to Fabric Interconnect B

As of today, you cannot use vPC to carry both Ethernet and Storage traffic.

I suggest you take a look at the following presentation -

https://www.ciscolive365.com/connect/sessionDetail.ww?SESSION_ID=5927&backBtn=true

Hello vsathiam,  Thanks for the detailed info. Could you please share the config for the 2 options proposed? That would help.  One question, do we really need the vPC for ethernet traffic or we can use single link as well?

Hi Asif,

Please check the following link (

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/solutions/SBA/February2013/Cisco_SBA_DC_UnifiedComputingSystemDeploymentGuide-Feb2013.pdf ) to understand how separate FCoE and Ethernet Uplinks are setup.

With vPC setup (for ethernet traffic), you get benefits of load-balancing (traffic spread across multiple links, in addition to hardware node redundancy), maximize bandwidth utilization ..etc

-Vignesh