Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies
Highlighted
Beginner

Converting from FCIP to Native Fibre Channel Replication

I want to convert from FCIP to just native FC replication over a partial OC-12 WAN simulator in my home lab. The Sources side is a MDS9216 with an IPS-8 card. The Target side is a MDS9509 that uses SUP-1 also with an IPS-8 card.

I will keep this simple I want to remove the IPS-8 cards and use native FC on 32(9509) and 16(9126) port line cards (1/2/4gbs). The WAN simulator is transparent to each site, Mirrorview is zoned from my CX300 at both virtual sites.

Do I have to introduce trunking using TE ports over EISL for over WAN replication? Will it require a new VSAN? I believe but I am not sure that the Mirrorview zoning does not have to change, or at least be recreated?

Hope someone can assist with the conversion from FCIP to FC in step form so that I can understand from the beginning to end the impact especially if this was a production environment, which it is not.

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Contributor

Re: Converting from FCIP to Native Fibre Channel Replication

so you are going to have DWDM/CWDM connectivity between the two sites ?

@dynamoxxx
Highlighted
Beginner

The short answer is YES.

Highlighted
Contributor

when you connect two sites over long distance it's best practice to use transit VSAN with IVR. This would allow you to connect both sites without merging the VSANs at both sites yet allow connectivity between specific devices (MirrorView ports on your Clariion).  I don't think 9126 supports enterprise license (which you need to do IVR). If you can't do IVR, then your next option is to create dedicated "Replication" VSAN at each site and merge them together. The only members of that VSAN will be your MirrorView ports (hopefully you do not have hosts using those ports).  When you configure your ports on each switch, you will set them up as "rate mode dedicated", " type e" and trunk allow VSAN you created for MirrorView ports.

@dynamoxxx
Highlighted
Cisco Employee

Hi,

you also asked if a portchannel would be needed.

As a best practice, It's seldom a bad idea to put an isl (even if it's just a single link) into a port channel.  That way, you can in the future increase the number of links in that port channel, and hence the bandwidth, without any interruption to your traffic.

Since links in a pc must be between the same 2 devices and be of the same speed, you cannot port channel the ip links and the fc links together.

What you could do is create a port channel, add the fc ports to it, and have the port channel trunk for just vsan 1.  If you later decide to cut over from the ip link to the fc link, you just configure the vsans in the fc trunk, and after that remove the vsans from the ip trunk. fsfp takes care of moving the load.

CreatePlease to create content
Content for Community-Ad

Cisco COVID-19 Survey

This widget could not be displayed.