cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Differance in Active Passive Twinax Cable

Joshua Maurer
Level 1
Level 1

I have 2 Nexus 7000 and 2 Nexus 5000 which connect to FI and the UCS. What I am doing is we purchased the APC racks that allow for able management for the Nexus 7000. I am making the move in a couple step process in order for the least amount of downtime.  The distance from the Nexus equipment will be about 10m away at longest. I see that my Nexus 7000 are connected using the SFP-H10GB-ACU7M and can purchase the  SFP-H10GB-ACU10M. This is an Active cable. But the Nexus 7000 are connected to the Nexus 5000 using the SFP-H10GB-CU5M which is a passive cable. I have been trying to find a CU10M but the longest is 7M. From what I have found on the cisco site at the bottom link. I do not know what the difference is of the Active and Passive cable and having problems googleing what the difference is. Could I get some clarity? 

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/interfaces_modules/transceiver_modules/compatibility/matrix/OL_6974.html

SFP-H10GB-ACU10M=

10-m 10G SFP+ Twinax cable assembly, active

SFP-H10GB-CU5M=

5-m 10G SFP+ Twinax cable assembly, passive

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Technically yes; I would however always check the interop matrix if active cables are supported as well. I remember times, when EMC (VNX) only supported passive twinax cables.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Walter Dey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

passive twinax max distance is 5m, if you need more, e.g. 7 and 10m, you need active twinax.

Active copper cables contain electrical components in the connectors that boost signal levels. This makes active copper cables slightly more expensive than passive copper cables; however, they can connect the Converged Network Adapter (CNA) to a top-of-the-rack switch over longer distances than passive copper cables.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/interfaces-modules/transceiver-modules/data_sheet_c78-455693.html

So then I can replace my passive with an active without any issue?

Technically yes; I would however always check the interop matrix if active cables are supported as well. I remember times, when EMC (VNX) only supported passive twinax cables.