cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Extending SAN&LAN over dark fiber (DWDM)?

aukhadiev
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, sorry for my English, but I hope you understand me, and I understand your answers:)
We are in the process of adding new data center (DC2), which will be geographically located about 20 km from our existing data center (DC1). Between them laid dark fiber (two fibers). We need a solution for the LAN(layer 2) and SAN(native FC) extension ...

Solution is to see me use two passive EWDM-MUX8 at both ends of dark fiber with DWDM transceivers on the equipment in the DC1 & DC2.

For Ethernet, we propose to use Cisco 10GBASE DWDM X2 Modules (p/n:DWDM-X2-xx.xx =) - equipment at both ends supports these modules.

For FC we propose to use DWDM SFP Modules for Cisco ONS Family (p/n:ONS-SC-4G-xx.x =).
SAN equipment at both ends - Cisco MDS 9124 (p/n:DS-C9124AP-K9).

But I'm not entirely sure of the correctness of this decision, especially in SAN extension.
Is this workable solution?
Does the Cisco MDS 9124 supports this transceivers (ONS-SC-4G-xx.x=)?
There are other potential pitfalls are not visible to me?
In advance, thanks for the advice.

2 Replies 2

kenk
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

Here's a link to the list of supported SFPs (transceivers) for the MDS family of switches and linecards:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/ps4159/ps6409/ps4358/product_data_sheet09186a00801bc698.html

Per the above documetation, the 9124 does support the ONS-SC-4G-xx.x transceiver.

I do hope that helps,

Ken

For ethernet, your decision is correct.

For SAN, things get a little dicey. The MDS 9124 doesn't support the ONS transcievers, and the FC 4G LH transciever is limited in distance to about 10 km.

If it were me, I would do things a little differently. I would put a Nexus 5000 series at each end of your dark fiber, with a 20 GB etherchannel trunk between them. Each nexus would then be connected to your data center ethernet network via 10 gig ethernet, and to your MDS's via 2/4/8 gig FC. The nexus could then be set up such that FC traffic destined for the other end will be encapsulated in ethernet, sent over the link, unencapsulated at the other end, and sent to the appropriate FC host.

It's relatively easy, simple to operate, and no mucking around with DWDM/CWDM, which can be a very complex animal.