Views
Helpful
Replies

FC & FCoE on Nexus 5548 & MDS 9700

CSCO10662744_2
Level 1
Level 1

Q1: QoS
How good are the default QoS settings for both ethernet & FCoE?

Doing QoS in NXOS is apparently very different from the Catalyst platforms.
I was wondering if we need to specifically change something, or is FCoE traffic automatically placed in a "priority queue", when a port is doing both ethernet & FCoE?

Is there any reason to dedicate a few ports just to do FC/FCoE, or can we put a bunch of ports in a port-channel, and run both ethernet & FCoE over it?
What's the best practice?

======================

Q2: port-channel load balancing

One customer already tried to run a port-channel between UCS-FI & MDS switch.
He said when you do that, the MDS is NOT capable of putting multiple links into a FC port-channel, to automatically load-balance FC traffic.
That's why he's connecting the UCS northbound to Nexus5548, where a native FC link in a port-channel is then connected to MDS, w/ one extra hop in between UCS & MDS.

Any truth to that?
It's hard to believe MDS cannot do FC port-channel.

Also, I noticed their existing port-channel between N5K & MDS is configured w/ a "channel-group 2 force" command.
In the ethernet world, best practice is to use LACP, or PAgP to negotiate the port-channel.
What's the best practice to form an FC PO in the SAN world?

TIA

Kevin

2 Replies 2

Walter Dey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Kevin

Q1: most of your questions are covered here

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/switches/nexus-5000-series-switches/116248-configure-fcoe-00.html

Generally: FCoE in the access is state of the art. In the aggregation, people don't like to share Ethernet and FC traffic on the same link; another reason is keeping fabric A / B separation for classical FC (therefore also FCoE); no FCoE traffic over vPC.

Q2:Regarding UCS and MDS; this is of course not true ! it's not E-port E-port trunking channeling, but F-port trunking channeling

Best practise is: UCS in FC End Host Mode (which is the default) and MDS in NPIV mode.

You also have to enable "feature fport-channel-trunk" on MDS

http://www.virtualdatacenter.me/2012/06/fibre-channel-trunking-and-port.html has all the details.

Walter.

hi Walter,
Thanks for the reply, and the links to useful online docs.

To clarify my customer's comment regarding Q2:
He was able to put multiple ports into a port-channel.

However, when he ran native FC over a port-channel between UCS FI & MDS, there was severe polarization, meaning one link would have much more utilization than the other (assuming a 2-port port-channel).

When he created a port-channel between UCS FI & Nexus 5K, and ran FCoE, he was able to achieve a much better spread across all links in the channel.

Their existing MDS linecards cannot support FCoE, and they didn't test native FC to Nexus, to do an apples-to-apples test, but above is what I was told.
Assuming I summarized the story accurately, is there any reason why he was able to achieve better load-balancing results to a Nexus 5548 via FCoE, than to a MDS 9710 via native FC?

Kevin

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: