Views
Helpful
Replies

flogi database no sessions

multiplexer002
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, 

I have created two vfc binded to the specified interfaces and I includeded them to the vsan database.

Now, when I am using the command

sh flogi database interfavce vfc X the output that I am getting back is No flogi sessions found

Any ideas?

Thanks 

John

11 Replies 11

Walter Dey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi John

Please post the output of

show flogi database vsan x

show logging log (are there any errors)

Walter.

Hi Walter,

with the command show flogi database vsan x I am not getting any output for the specific vfc I am looking for. There are entries for othe vfc though.

After issuing the following command I am getting this output:

NX5596#sh int trunk vsan 999
vfc219 is trunking
Vsan 999 is down (waiting for flogi)
vfc221 is trunking
vfc223 is trunking

There are no errors after issuing the command show logging log.

Do you think that might the HBA of the server is not configured properly?

Can you explain me a little bit what the output of sh flogi database represents? The port name is the HBA of the server and the Node name is for the storage? I can see also the name of the server. 

Thanks 

John

Hi John

We have to find the reason, why waiting for flogi ?

https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/11394216/ucs-wwpn-not-logging-mds-9124

flogi is explained in

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/mds9000/sw/nx-os/configuration/guides/fabric/fabric_fm_4_2_published/fm_fabric/flgi.html

it is a functionality similar to DHCP in IP, namely requesting a address (FC) for the HBA (resp. host).

Q. What is the storage switch you connect to ? MDS or N5k ?

Q. is NPIV enabled ?

Hi Walter, 

This addressing is issued from the MDS?

A. The MDS is connected with the N5k which has a connection with FEX 2232 and there the ESXi are connected.

A. The npiv is disabled.

Thanks 

John

Hi John

I'm still confused !

I think it would be best, if you post a diagram of the configuration.

Q. is this a Cisco server ? which network adaptor ?

Q. ESXi uses classical FC ?

Q. is this a FCoE setup ?

Q. how is your N5k configured ? classical FC for connecting the MDS ? FCoE for connecting ESXi.

Walter.

Hi Walter,

I haven't designed it by myself neither I did the configuration. I am an operator of this infrastructure and I am getting familiar even when problems come around!

It's FCoE arrangement.

ESXi is connected with the N5k with FCoE through FEX 2232.

The N5k is connected with san port channel to MDS9506

John

Hi John

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus5000/sw/operations/n5k_fcoe_ops.html

gives you all the information. see Fig. 5-7

Hosts Connected To The Cisco Nexus 2232 Fabric Extender Using Active/Standby Ethernet Connections or vPC Connections

Q. is your N5k in FC NPV mode ? which would require that the MDS is in NPIV mode.

for details see above document:

Single-Hop FCoE Deployment Topologies

Hi Walter,

At the end it was the "Personality" parameter on the ESXi that was making the whole conflict. It you were selecting the NIC option as 'Personality" and after you were configuring the port FCoE it was changing back to NIC.

The issue was setled by the time we configured the "Personality" on the ESXi to FCoE and all ports to FCoE.

Thanks 

John

Hi John

Good to hear !

Cheers

Walter.

Hello Mr. Walter

Im aslo facing the similar problem . but still cant find any clue regarding fixing the problem. can you take a look at my post ?

here is the link

https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/13155081/nexus-swith-5548up-fcoevfc-not-found-show-flogi-database-any-config-missing

Thanks 

ARIQ

I agree with all the other users regarding NPV to NPIV. If you don't that setup properly on the Nexus 5K it will never work. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: