cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Flogi Issue - Cisco MDS/EMC VNX5300 (UCS Hybrid Storage)

stevecuddy
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm looking for some advice with my storage network - any help is much appreciated.

My primary goal is to configure Hybrid Storage on our UCS infrastructure (UCS in FC-SWITCH-MODE, delivering Direct Attached FCoE and FC via Cisco MDS 9148).

The direct attached FCoE and FC is working fine but I'm having a nightmare with the FC-SW network.When the UCS was in End Host (NPV) mode the FC worked fine - since switching to switched mode I can't seem to get the HBAs to log into the EMC VNX.

I only started working with FC networking around 6 months ago and I'm still studying it - I believe I have all the basics configured but I'm obviously missing something integral. It seems the blade HBAs can't see the VNX target.

Brief Overview : I'll attach my configs for ref :

UCS to 9128 is a TE Port (the relevant VSANs are allowed)
All wwpns are zoned correctly

Domain-IDs / Principal switches look to be ok.

All devices have flogi.

I can fcping the VNX and the HBAs from the MDS. I can't test end to end though unless anyone can recommend a windows tool ? There is no fcping functionality on the UCS (or that I can find) ?

I have narrowed it down to the following (maybe completely wrong)

1) flogi - The blade HBAs log into the UCS 6248 - the VNX logs into the MDS 9148 - a show flogi database cannot see the other logins, should this info be shared or is this expected behaviour ?

2) The FCNS database can see all nodes (but it reports the VNX as iscsi:both not target) is this an issue ?

Is there something I need to configure to force the HBAs to see the VNX ?

I have hopefully attached all the relevant info.

I look forward to hearing any advice you may have.

Steve.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jeremy Waldrop
Level 4
Level 4

In switch mode you will not see the UCS vHBAs flogi on the MDS, only on the 6248. Same for the VNX, flogi only happens on the directly connected switch unless it is in NPV mode then flogis are passed up to the core.

Your zones only have 1 device in them, for the vHBAs to see the VNX you need to have a vHBA and a VNX port in the same zone.

I would also recommend using device-aliases instead of fcalias. Device-aliases are distributed across all switches in the fabric and they show up in the show flogi database output and show zoneset active output

Here is what your device-alias and zones should look like for all hosts, this is just an example for host 1

device-alias mode enhanced

device-alias commit

device-alias database

device-alias name ESX-01-vmhba1 pwwn 20:00:00:25:b5:05:00:ef

device-alias name EMC-VNX-SPA-0 pwwn 50:06:01:60:3e:a0:60:19

device-alias name EMC-VNX-SPB-0 pwwn 50:06:01:68:3e:a0:60:19

device-alias commit

zone name DBY-VNX-SPA-0_ESX-01 vsan 200

member device-alias EMC-VNX-SPA-0

member device-alias ESX-01-vmhba1

zone name DBY-VNX-SPB-0_ESX-01 vsan 200

member device-alias EMC-VNX-SPB-0

zoneset name DBY-A-ZONESET-01 vsan 200

member DBY-VNX-SPA-0_ESX-01

member DBY-VNX-SPB-0_ESX-01

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Jeremy Waldrop
Level 4
Level 4

In switch mode you will not see the UCS vHBAs flogi on the MDS, only on the 6248. Same for the VNX, flogi only happens on the directly connected switch unless it is in NPV mode then flogis are passed up to the core.

Your zones only have 1 device in them, for the vHBAs to see the VNX you need to have a vHBA and a VNX port in the same zone.

I would also recommend using device-aliases instead of fcalias. Device-aliases are distributed across all switches in the fabric and they show up in the show flogi database output and show zoneset active output

Here is what your device-alias and zones should look like for all hosts, this is just an example for host 1

device-alias mode enhanced

device-alias commit

device-alias database

device-alias name ESX-01-vmhba1 pwwn 20:00:00:25:b5:05:00:ef

device-alias name EMC-VNX-SPA-0 pwwn 50:06:01:60:3e:a0:60:19

device-alias name EMC-VNX-SPB-0 pwwn 50:06:01:68:3e:a0:60:19

device-alias commit

zone name DBY-VNX-SPA-0_ESX-01 vsan 200

member device-alias EMC-VNX-SPA-0

zone name DBY-VNX-SPB-0_ESX-01 vsan 200

member device-alias EMC-VNX-SPB-0

zoneset name DBY-A-ZONESET-01 vsan 200

member DBY-VNX-SPA-0_ESX-01

member DBY-VNX-SPB-0_ESX-01

Hi Jeremy,

Thanks for the reply - I'll get re-configuring and look at Zoning again - I'm obviously not quiet understanding it fully.
I'll let you know how i get on.

Thnaks again.

Steve.

stevecuddy
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Jeremy,

That's sorted it - and improved my understanding no end, it would seem I didn't quiet get single initiator Zoning :-)
Thanks for all the help, I'm now fully Hybrid.

Steve.

Hi Jeremy / Guys,

I'm just configuring device-aliases and I've hit a snag.
Can somebody confirm that Cisco 6248s can operate in enhanced zoning mode ?
Whenever I configure it, it fails to activate on the VSAN - even though the MDS status shows enabled and distributed.

Steve.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: