Announcements

Views
Helpful
Replies
RedNectar
Engager

HyperFlex new behaviour in HX4.5(2a) and ESXi 7.0U2

Hi all,

[Edit: I've just figured out that attributesnapshot.alwaysAllowNative=TRUE. as referred to in the release notes really SHOULD be attribute snapshot.alwaysAllowNative=TRUE- which makes much more sense, but I still have questions]

I'm hoping someone can explain in small words exactly what the following features mentioned in the release notes of HXDP v4.5(2a) means.

• Sentinel snapshots are not created

• Supports VAAI offload for all snapshots of a VM by automatically configuring VM attributesnapshot.alwaysAllowNative=TRUE. [OK. I've now realised it SHOULD say VM attribute snapshot.alwaysAllowNative=TRUE]

Now I understand the way Sentinel snapshots work.  What I don't understand is the magic that means the Sentinel snapshot is no longer required - but clearly has something to do with "automatically configuring VM attributesnapshot.alwaysAllowNative=TRUE."

So can anyone tell me exactly how this attribute gets set whenever I deploy or vMotion a VM to HyperFlex?

• Does the SCVM monitor for new VMs and stealthily and change the attribute?
    • If not, what makes this attribute get set? 
  • Does this mean that it is now impossible to create a VMware redo snapshot?
  • Do these changes make any difference regarding cloning - does the VMware clone operation produce an identical clone as compared to creating a single ready-clone?

So little information about this - I'm hoping one of you HyperFlex gurus can enlighten me!

RedNectar
aka Chris Welsh

Don't forget to mark answers as correct if it solves your problem. This helps others find the correct answer if they search for the same problem

0 REPLIES 0