cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Interconnecting MDS-9124 and MDS-9148

bberry
Level 1
Level 1

I have two older MDS-9124s that we are replacing with MDS-9148 as part of an overall SAN upgrade. It is possible to simply interconnect one 9124 with one 9148 and basically make a stack as the first step to replacing the 9124? I am thining this would either create an ISL or I would need to create an ISL to get everythig sync and then just a simple matter of moving the server links from a 4G port on the 9124 to an 8G port on the 9148. Once completed I could then remove the 9124s. I am looking through CCO now for any information to see if this is do able. My concern is around issues such as they are different platforms and in compatable for this. Would something like this cause a reset or need a reset to take affect. Considering the fact that the 9124s are in production I do not want to make things worse.

I know my other option would be to simply pull the config from the old 9124 and appropiately place it on the 9148 but we are also going through a SAN migration as a part of this process and could temporarily use a few extra ports. I am just trying to avoid having to buy additional licenses and interfaces for something that it temporary.

Hope not too crazy as this is my first exposure to the MDS line....

Brent

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

dynamoxxx
Level 5
Level 5

absolutly doable, i would make sure 9124 is on the same code level as 9148. ISL them together, when you do that zoneset will propagate to 9148 and start slowly moving systems from 9124 to 9148 (one path at a time to avoid complete downtime).

@dynamoxxx

@dynamoxxx

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

dynamoxxx
Level 5
Level 5

absolutly doable, i would make sure 9124 is on the same code level as 9148. ISL them together, when you do that zoneset will propagate to 9148 and start slowly moving systems from 9124 to 9148 (one path at a time to avoid complete downtime).

@dynamoxxx

@dynamoxxx

salleek
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Brent - I have to do the exact migration.  The 9148 is on 6.2 code and the 9124 latest code is 3.3.  Did you make this work?  Do you mind sharing your experience?

Thanks,

Kenny

They actually purchased a complete new SAN so they could increase storage capacity and we simply attached the new switches to the new SAN hardware. The older switches we left on the older SAN hardware and it is now part of the SAN for DR.

Brent

jihicks
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Brent,

Check the fcdomains ( show fcdomain domain-list ) of both the old and new switches before connecting them to make sure they are not the same.  If they are, the fabrics will not merge ( each switch is considered a fabric until you merge them ).   If they are the same, change the new switch, set it to static, do an fcdomain restart on the new switch, then verify it changed.

After connecting the two switches together. on the 9124 issue "zoneset distribute vsan x" where x is the VSAN that you are using.  This will distribute the full zone database to the 9148. The active database will already be there but not the full zone database.  If you have fcaliases, these are part of the full zone database. 

Best regards,

Jim

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: