Views
Helpful
Replies

Is it possible to Configure VPC Between N5010 and 6513

virgoboy009
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Gents,

Please let me know if we can  configure VPC Between N5010 and 6513(coreswitch).

IF Yes, Does it have any loops or abnormal traiffc behaviour ?

Please refer the attached mail for current network diagram

1) I would like to establish VPC Between N5010 and Cisco 6513 switch

2) if yes, Does the upstream devices above 6513 core switch will forward the traffic from all the

6513 ports connected to N5000 ports or 6513 will send traffic from one up link and block other

uplink ports as part of STP.

3) Is VSS on 6513 is required for Point #1

Please refer some links on this as well.

Appreciate your quick response.

Thanks and Regards,

KA.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Karim ,

They covered it but with VSS. There are no configuration diffrences between  vPC with a server and vPC with a standalone switch - as in your case.

If you do not have a VSS , I do think this setup is highly recommended.

Regards

Dan

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Hi Karim,

You can use vPC on Nexus 5000 without the need of the VSS. The only requirement is that the 6k should be connected to each 5k. vPC gives you the ability to create the Portchannel between any deivice and the 5K pair, event though physically the 5k is represented by a pair of equipments.

The forwarding on the vPC will be made based on the hash. So basically both links will be used.

Regards

Dan

Hello Dan,

Do you have any cisco link that shows to configure VPC between NExus 5000 and Cisco 6513 switch ( NON-VSS switch).

Regards,

KA.

Hi Karim ,

You can use this one - you can consider your 6k the FEX as in this example

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps9441/ps9670/configuration_guide_c07-543563.html

On the portchannel to 6k will not configure :

"switchport mode fex-fabric"

"fex associate 100"

This configuration in indended to be used with FEX.

Regards

Dan

Hey Dan,

thanks for your reply!

I have seen this below url link before too. I am bit surprsied that cisco has not covered any where in their cisco portal showing  vpc between N5k/7k & 6500 switch . Does it mean its not recommended ?

Can we have a comment from Cisco Team guys on this ??

Regards,KA.

Hi Karim ,

They covered it but with VSS. There are no configuration diffrences between  vPC with a server and vPC with a standalone switch - as in your case.

If you do not have a VSS , I do think this setup is highly recommended.

Regards

Dan

It is absolutely possible to run vPC and VSS and have interoperability between Nexus switches and a pair of 6500s. However, there are design considerations like dual homing vs single attached and they are explained in figure 1 of this link:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps708/white_paper_c11_589890.html

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: