cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Is there possible connect FI A and FI B to same SAN switch?

Hele Du
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Experts,

Is there possible connect both FI to same SAN switch?

I know this is not best practice, i just want to figure out some topology can use.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Walter Dey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Hele

Yes, of course ! you would simply create 2 different VSAN's (assuming its a MDS and/or N5k) , simulating a logical (instead of a physical) dual fabric.

Walter.

View solution in original post

Hi Hele

On the UCS FI, you have to create  VSAN's; so create different VSAN id's for FI-A and FI-B; (don't use default vsan = 1; anyway connecting to Brocade you must use FC end host mode on the FI's).

When you connect to Brocade, the VSAN tag gets removed. 

On the Brocade, you have to setup the zoning (single initiator - single target) to emulate a dual fabric.

Walter.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Walter Dey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Hele

Yes, of course ! you would simply create 2 different VSAN's (assuming its a MDS and/or N5k) , simulating a logical (instead of a physical) dual fabric.

Walter.

Hi Walter,

My client using a brocade SAN switch connect  both FIs, so do not have capable of vsan.

The VSAN on both FIs is default, is this possible?

Hi Hele

On the UCS FI, you have to create  VSAN's; so create different VSAN id's for FI-A and FI-B; (don't use default vsan = 1; anyway connecting to Brocade you must use FC end host mode on the FI's).

When you connect to Brocade, the VSAN tag gets removed. 

On the Brocade, you have to setup the zoning (single initiator - single target) to emulate a dual fabric.

Walter.

HI Walter,

Thank you for your answer.

You means the VSAN tag only internal using, it will remove when frame out of FI?

The upstream switch will tag the frame according to the port configuration?

Brocade doesn't use / understand VSAN tagging; FI internally, VSAN tagging is used;

outgoing traffic to Brocade: VSAN tag is removed

inbound traffic from Brocade: VSAN tag is added.(according to the VSAN defined for this FI port).

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: