Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ISL between Cisco 5548UP switch and Cisco 9148S

Hi All,

We are trying to move our gear from one room to another in the same building. The old and new room are basically 60 ft apart with 4 strands of fiber in between in order for us to create an ISL connection.

What we have is a Cisco 5548UP switch that is in production and a Cisco 9148S switch that we would like to wipe clean and connect it to the Cisco 5548UP using FC ISL connections.

Once the ISL connection is successful then the 5548UP will be the Core switch and 9148S switch shall be the edge switch. The plan is to move one server at a time, so that each server is disconnected from the Core switch and then connected to the Edge Switch but still talk to the storage on Core switch.

Hope the below picture helps.

the versions are as follows

Cisco 5548UP: 6.0(2)N1(2)

Cisco 9148S: 6.2(9)

I would like to know if such connection is possible and if so, is there a document on how to achieve this?

Thanks in advance for any help.

2 Replies 2

Matt Breitbach
Level 1
Level 1

Totally possible - it would be configured just like any other ISL, you just need to configure ports on the Nexus 5548up as FC ports and build up the ISL like you would on any MDS.  Do you currently have FC ports on the 5548up?  If you don't, you will need to reboot the switch to reconfigure them, and they have to be the last ports on the switch (or module).  I would review the configuration guides for the Nexus 5k and the MDS.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus5000/sw/configuration/guide/cli/CLIConfigurationGuide/pc.html

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/mds9000/sw/6_2/configuration/guides/interfaces/nx-os/cli_interfaces.pdf

Since they're both nx-os, they should be pretty similar.

Matt,

Thanks much for the reply. Yes the 5548UP is up and already hosting FC traffic. I have storage and servers connected to the 5548up through fc cables with all zoned correctly.

I now need to make the 5548UP a core switch and make the 9148S edge switch.

-Raj