cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ISL & VSAN1 segmentation

scott.holman
Level 1
Level 1

Suppose I have a pair of 9513s and want to merge VSAN10 across the two switches. I connect the switches via a sinlge port on each switch that are members of VSAN10, and have trunking disabled for the ISL ports, so that only VSAN10 merges.

What happens to VSAN1?

I do not want to merge VSAN1, as VSAN on switch1 has connected and live hosts whilst switch2 is admin down.

I intend to migrate hosts in VSAN1 of switch1 to their own dedicated VSAN. However, this may have to happen after the switches are connected.

Should I wait until i can clear VSAN1, and have them both admin down?

Will VSAN1 become segmented?

Is been suggested that one of the switches may take one of hte VSAN1s offline.

Any help appreciated.

2 Replies 2

Hello Scott

The VSAN an ISL port is in makes no difference to what is trunked, I tend to leave them as VSAN1

You need to enable trunking for both ends.  You can also specify which VSAN's are trunked - it's easy in the GUI.

If you do specify what VSAN's to trunk, VSAN1 will not make it's way over to your 2nd switch,  though having said that, I tend to let it cross before I allow other VSAN's - more of a test really that all is OK before I trunk other VSAN's.

VSAN1 should not go offline if you merge, but as you know, you shoudln't really be using it anyway.

Thanks

Steven

Thanks for your answer Steven.

In this particular case I do not want VSAN1 to merge, as it contains hosts on the switches in DC1 that I do not want on switches in DC2.

Is best practice to have trunking enabled, and then use the allow list to restrict IO to VSAN that I want to merge?

What happens to the VSAN1 on the connected switches?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: