Views
Helpful
Replies

IVR-NAT mode migration

dynamoxxx
Level 5
Level 5

Hello folks,

i am preparing to upgrade my MDS 9513 (rev 2) and MDS 9222i to 5.2.6a code. Looking at the release notes for 5.2.x i see that i will first need to upgrade to 5.0.x and then to 5.2.x. Another caveat that i see is that we currently use IVR without IVR-NAT and this configuration is no longer support in 5.2.x. Release notes provide the commands to migrate to IVR-NAT mode that seem to be relatively simple. I understand that this will require an outage.

Has anyone done this recently, any pitfalls ? Did your IVR topology, zones stay intact ?

Thanks

@dynamoxxx
3 Replies 3

Vu Phan
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Dynamoxxx,

- Yes, many customer did the migration from IVR NON-NAT to IVR NAT without issue. There is disruption for IVR zone only, since the active zoneset need to be deactivated.

- Confirmed, IVR topology and zones stay intact after this process.

To migrate to IVR-NAT mode, follow these steps:

1. Stop or divert all applications on servers that depend on IVR.

If CFS distribution is not enabled for IVR, then perform steps 2 through 4 on all switches where IVR is enabled.

If CFS distribution is enabled for IVR, then enter the ivr commit command following step 2, step 3, and step 4 to distribute the changes to other switches.

2. Deactivate the IVR zone set by entering the no ivr zoneset activate command.

3. Enable IVR NAT by entering the ivr nat command.

4. Activate the IVR zone set by entering the ivr zoneset activate command.

5. Start or reestablish all application that were stopped in step 1.

The network can now run in IVR-NAT mode.

Also, you can use Fabric Manager GUI to enable IVR-NAT as follow:

1.  SAN --- > Fabric xx --- > All VSANs --- > IVR --- > Deactivate Zoneset

2.  SAN --- > Fabric xx --- > All VSANs --- > IVR --- > action --- > Check box "Enable IVR NAT" --- > Click enable button --- > Click CFS

3.   Zone --- > right click IVR --- > edit Local Full Zone Database --- > Select zoneset --- > Activate

Hope this help

Hello Vu,

i did see those steps documented in the release notes. What command can i run right now to verify i am  NOT using IVR-NAT today ?

Another question is i have a transit VSAN that connects my two geographically dispersed fabrics. Any issues with transit VSAN and IVR-NAT ?

Thank you

@dynamoxxx

Hello dynamoxxx

You can run command show ivr | inc NAT

Inter-VSAN NAT mode status

--------------------------

FCID-NAT is enabled          < ---  Indicated IVR-NAT enabled

Last activation time  : Wed Nov 21 06:54:13 2012

You should not have any issue with transit VSAN with IVR-NAT.

Thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: