Views
Helpful
Replies

MDS Switch BIOS

MSCARO4327886
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I was upgrading this MDS switch (DS-C9148S-K9) from 8.4(1a) to 8.4(2d). 

After checking the impact of the firmware upgrade, by issuing the command in the following.

"show install all impact kickstart m9100-s3ek9-kickstart-mz.6.2.33.bin system m9100-s3ek9-mz.6.2.33.bin"

I received the following the following table. 

The bios it says here will upgrade from v2.1.17(01/08/14):v2.1.17(01/08/14) to v2.1.18(04/06/20)  and upgrade required is Yes. My issue is i am not sure if i have the Bios software here to upgrade this. As i have only had kickstart and system OS image file with me.  Do I need to get the bios software? Where can i get it? Or I can directly install it without caring the Bios? 

Images will be upgraded according to following table:
Module      Image                Running-Version(pri:alt)                                New-Version                Upg-Re quired
------ ---------- ---------------------------------------- -------------------- ------ ------
1               system                             8.4(1a)                                              8.4(2d)                      yes
1             kickstart                             8.4(1a)                                              8.4(2d)                       yes
1                   bios            v2.1.17(01/08/14):v2.1.17(01/08/14)           v2.1.18(04/06/20)            yes

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hello,

I have checked the release notes, install guides, and the entire software download section, but could not find anything on having to separately upgrade the bios. So I am pretty sure the BIOS upgrade is included in the image.

I think you can see any incompatibilities prior to the upgrade with the command:

show incompatibility system

View solution in original post

Bhavin Yadav
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
The NX-OS software upgrade on switch will also upgrade the BIOS. You don’t need to do it separately.

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Jitendra Kumar
Spotlight
Spotlight

Not Sure if the system image contains the Bios file.

Raise Tac ticket will be best for confirmation and clarification 

Thanks,
Jitendra

Hello,

I have checked the release notes, install guides, and the entire software download section, but could not find anything on having to separately upgrade the bios. So I am pretty sure the BIOS upgrade is included in the image.

I think you can see any incompatibilities prior to the upgrade with the command:

show incompatibility system

Hi Georg, 

Thank you for your constructive comment. I will try to  issue show incompatibility system and check. I am not sure whether BIOS upgrade is included in the image or not because previously Upgrade Required section for Bios is No. Therefore im pretty confident to upgrade. However, this time it shows it requires upgrade of Bios. That's why i cannot confirm it can boot up when i install the software.

Thanks

Module      Image                Running-Version(pri:alt)                                New-Version                Upg-Re quired
------ ---------- ---------------------------------------- -------------------- ------ ------
1               system                             8.4(1a)                                              8.4(2d)                      yes
1             kickstart                             8.4(1a)                                              8.4(2d)                       yes
1                   bios            v2.1.17(01/08/14):v2.1.17(01/08/14)           v2.1.18(04/06/20)            yes (No) 

Hi George,

Thanks. 

Bhavin Yadav
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
The NX-OS software upgrade on switch will also upgrade the BIOS. You don’t need to do it separately.

Hi Bhavin,

Meaning that I can install it as usual? Thanks for your reply

1                   bios            v2.1.17(01/08/14):v2.1.17(01/08/14)           v2.1.18(04/06/20)            yes 

Hi Bhavin,

Thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: