Views
Helpful
Replies

Need help with migrating old switches

sanguy2504
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Dynamoxxx & others ,

I need help with a step by step process to decommission 2 old 9148 MDS series switches . The new switches are already connected and I need to transfer the existing zoneset /set up to the new ones . 

I am  doing this for the first time so kindly elaborate a steps for better understanding ; things such as,  what details I need to gather prior to migrating, what commands I need to run for the migration , what are things to verify after migration . 

Appreciate some inputs . 

Regards!

8 Replies 8

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Do it just before you go on annual leave.

Walter Dey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

See eg.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/storage-networking/mds-9700-series-multilayer-directors/white-paper-c11-732037.html

and

https://www.experts-exchange.com/questions/27397507/Migrating-From-Cisco-MDS-9124-Multilayer-Fabric-Switch-to-9148-Multilayer-Fabric-switch.html

experts exchange is a paid service . Kindly give inputs here ..

so what have you configured on the new switches before you plugged them in to the old ones ?  I always enable full zoneset distribution on old and new switches, so when the new switch joins the fabric, everything gets propagated to it as far as zonesets/zones is concerned.  To check if zoneset full distribution is enabled run

sh running-config vsan <VSAN#>

look for line that says "zoneset distribute full vsan <VSAN#>

What other features do you use ? Device-alias, IVR ..etc ?

@dynamoxxx

Hi dynamo,

I am checking on the old switch , I do not see zoneset full distribution enabled . Is there a way I could check switches connected to my old switch ?

I see following  ISL is  set up  -. No IVR .

========

interface fc1/23
  switchport description "ISL to nlamsci00001 Port FC1/3, 1/11, Port-Channel 21"
  port-license acquire
  no shutdown

interface fc1/24
  switchport description "ISL to nlamsci00001 Port FC1/3, 1/11, Port-Channel 21"
  port-license acquire
  no shutdown
=========

device alias is enabled.

#show device-alias  status

Fabric Distribution: Enabled
Database:- Device Aliases 0  Mode: Basic
           Checksum: 0xf6bd6b3389b87233d462029172c8612

What should be my next step..?

Thanks !

what all configuration was done on the new switches ? Did you configure VSANs ?

@dynamoxxx

yes ,  Vsan is configured on new switches  .

zone commit vsan 841

interface fc1/3
  switchport description "ISL to dc2san03 Port FC1/23-24, Port-Channel 21"
  port-license acquire
  no shutdown

interface fc1/11
  switchport description "ISL to dc2san03 Port FC1/23-24, Port-Channel 21"
  port-license acquire
  no shutdown

I think zoneset distribute full vsan  is enabled as I see the same vsan in the new switch . What all needs to be done from host end ?