cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

NetApp NFS via 10Gb active / passive - N5Ks

NaelShahid_2
Level 1
Level 1

Looking for some advice on what others are doing with NFS over 10Gb. The setup will have 2 x 10Gb ports per filer with each port into a none vPC Nexus 5548. Each ESX server again has dual 10Gb ports terminated on each on the N5Ks. The ESX servers are running Nexus 1000v with the uplinks based on mac-pinning (due to the none vPC config upstream).

The initial thought is to configure a single mode vif with the active interface favouring one of the N5K, the vmkernal interface would also be pinned to a pin group on the uplink attached to the same N5K.

This design wastes bandwidth (active passive on the filers). However, the major concern is traffic being black holed if the physical interface / cable etc fails on either the esx servers or filers on the active interfaces... Ie, if the cable fails on the filer active interface traffic will failover to the other N5K, however, the ESX server will still be sending NFS via the original pinned uplink...

PS – I would prefer not to link to the 2 x N5Ks, also, vPC is not being used due to issues with routing via the N5Ks.

3 Replies 3

santkumd528
Level 1
Level 1

i would recommend dynamic multimode vif( lacp, cisco mode active) which facilitates the error handling and error logging at the switch levels..This is what NetApp recommends too.

As mentioned in my post the N5Ks are none vPC (standalone), hence, multimode (static or dynamic) cannot be used.... This is the purpose of this post.

Do you mean non-vPC? What's a none vPC?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: