Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus 1010 ERSPAN Destination

George Ribarski
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

i'm trying to configure a virtual call recording  solution. I want to use ERSPAN to send the traffic from the phones to  the recording system on a Virtual Machine. The virtual infrastructure  has a Nexus 1010 installed. I'm folloing the administration guide for  the nexus which states that :

"On the Cisco Nexus 1010 switch, a user can configure ERSPAN source sessions, destination sessions, or both."

I  can create a source erspan monitor session on the physical switch, but i  cannot create e erpsan-destinaion on the Nexus ... the problem is that i  simple don't have this in the configuration ...

I'm using Nexus 1010 with 4.0(4)SV1(3b) ...

is  it me or the nexus does not support erspan destination ? or am i  looking this from a different angle and such solution must be aproached  differently ?

-------------------------

the configuration on the physical switch looks like this

monitor session 7 type erspan-source

source vlan 5

destination

erspan-id 999

ip address yyy.yyy.yyy.yyy

vrf Intranet

on the Nexus I should be able to create

monitor session 7 type erspan-destination

but i don't have such option. the only option is for erspan-source.

Thank you very much!!!

2 Replies 2

davidcheung
Level 1
Level 1

I have same question, Who is able to help!!! PLS

Hi

I actually solved my problem using regular SPAN. I configured RSPAN on the physical switches (source – the phones, destination - RSPAN VLAN), and then used SPAN (source – the RSPAN VLAN from the physical switch and destination - a virtual port) on the Nexus.

Although it’s not documented, the Nexus 1k somehow recognizes the RSPAN sent from the physical switch and successfully sends it to the destination port.

The documentation guide of the nexus does not mention RSPAN at all, and the documentation guide of the physical switches (cat3750) says that if you use RSPAN the VLAN has to be configured as RSPAN VLAN, so I guess this were just not mentioned in the documentation guide.

Hope that helps.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: