cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus 7009 & Fabric Extender N2348UPQ 10G

fcfs
Level 1
Level 1

I totally understand that the Nexus 7000 series of switches do not support native fiber channel, but if i were to connect a 2348UPQ fabric extender, can i convert the ethernet ports on the fabric extender to fc ports and be able to configure zoning/vfc etc

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Kirk J
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Greetings.

From

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/nexus-2000-series-fabric-extenders/datasheet-c78-731663.html

The Cisco Nexus 2300 fabric extenders provide a 1-rack-unit (1RU) energy-efficient platform with a choice of front-to-back (port-side exhaust) and back-to-front (port-side intake) airflow options that offer 100 Megabit Ethernet; 1, 10, and 40 Gigabit Ethernet; Fibre Channel (on 2348UPQ with 5600 only starting 7.3 release); and FCoE for a broad range of traditional data center and large-scale virtualized cloud deployments.

The parent switch the fex is connected to would need to have native fiber channel capabilities, which the N7ks do not.

Thanks,

Kirk...

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Kirk J
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Greetings.

From

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/nexus-2000-series-fabric-extenders/datasheet-c78-731663.html

The Cisco Nexus 2300 fabric extenders provide a 1-rack-unit (1RU) energy-efficient platform with a choice of front-to-back (port-side exhaust) and back-to-front (port-side intake) airflow options that offer 100 Megabit Ethernet; 1, 10, and 40 Gigabit Ethernet; Fibre Channel (on 2348UPQ with 5600 only starting 7.3 release); and FCoE for a broad range of traditional data center and large-scale virtualized cloud deployments.

The parent switch the fex is connected to would need to have native fiber channel capabilities, which the N7ks do not.

Thanks,

Kirk...

well that's unfortunate. luckily i have a pair of 5596UP's. Thank you.