Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus5548UP FC port type

dganta
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Team,

We are using Nexus5548UP where ports 1-19 are ethernet and ports 20-32 are for FC now I want to use 2 additional ports for FC now my question is, can I use ports 14-15 for FC or is it a rule that the FC ports have to be contiguous as such I need to use only ports 18 and 19 for FC.  I do not want to disconnect ports 18 and 19 unless it is absolutely required. However is it fine if we have ports14-15 in FC and ports 20-32 in FC on Nexus5548UP. Please clarify

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Kirk J
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Greetings.

See https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus5500/sw/interfaces/7x/b_5500_Interfaces_Config_Guide_Release_7x/b_5500_Interfaces_Config_Guide_Release_7x_chapter_01.html

Guidelines and Limitations for Unified Ports

• Ethernet ports and Fibre Channel ports must be configured in the following order:
    • Fibre Channel ports must be configured from the last port of the module.

• Ethernet ports must be configured from the first port of the module.

If the order is not followed, the following errors are displayed:

ERROR: Ethernet range starts from first port of the module
    ERROR: FC range should end on last port of the module
  • On the Cisco Nexus 5548UP switch, the 32 ports of the main slot (slot1) are unified ports. The Ethernet ports start from port 1/1 to port 1/32. The Fibre Channel ports start from port 1/32 backwards to port 1/1.

So yes, Ethernet is contiguous till the FC ports start and those continue to end of module.

Kirk...

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Kirk J
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Greetings.

See https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus5500/sw/interfaces/7x/b_5500_Interfaces_Config_Guide_Release_7x/b_5500_Interfaces_Config_Guide_Release_7x_chapter_01.html

Guidelines and Limitations for Unified Ports

• Ethernet ports and Fibre Channel ports must be configured in the following order:
    • Fibre Channel ports must be configured from the last port of the module.

• Ethernet ports must be configured from the first port of the module.

If the order is not followed, the following errors are displayed:

ERROR: Ethernet range starts from first port of the module
    ERROR: FC range should end on last port of the module
  • On the Cisco Nexus 5548UP switch, the 32 ports of the main slot (slot1) are unified ports. The Ethernet ports start from port 1/1 to port 1/32. The Fibre Channel ports start from port 1/32 backwards to port 1/1.

So yes, Ethernet is contiguous till the FC ports start and those continue to end of module.

Kirk...

Thank you Kirk that is what I thought. Thank you for confirming the same