Views
Helpful
Replies

NPV and FCoE-NPV

Luke Robertson
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

If I wish to enable NPV on a Nexus 5548 (so it can integrate with a 3rd party SAN switch), do I also need to enable FCoE-NPV?

Enable NPV:

switch(config)# npv enable

Enable FCoE:

switch(config)# feature fcoe

FCoE-NPV:

switch(config)# feature fcoe-npv

That is, to use 'npv enable', do I need to use 'feature fcoe-npv'?

I am trying to use FC to connect to a legacy SAN, while using FCoE to connect to servers in UCS. I'm not sure if I understand correctly, but I don't think I need FCoE-NPV to for UCS, but I do need to globally enable NPV for the Brocade switch.

One last thing... I've read that when enabling NPV the switch will erase the config and reboot. Why is this? Or does this only happen if the switch already has SAN config?

Thankyou

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello Luke,

If it is just NFS / CIFS shares to UCS servers via N5K, then you can directly connect FI to Brocade switches.

UCS FI <---- FC ----> Brocade 300

|

| <--- Ethernet --->  N5K <----> Netapp

By default, UCS FI operates in FC NPV ( End host ) mode.

UCS SAN Switch compatibility matrix

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps10477/prod_technical_reference_list.html

N5K - SAN switch compatibility matrix ( FYI )

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/datacenter/mds9000/interoperability/matrix/Matrix7a.html

In this scenario, you do need to enable FCoE or FC NPv on the N5K.

Since I am not aware of complete migration plan and your requirements, it would be good to have a discussion with Cisco Sales team.

HTH

Padma

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

padramas
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Luke,

From stand alone N5K switch perspective, default operation of FC is Fabric mode.

===>>> That is, to use 'npv enable', do I need to use 'feature fcoe-npv'?

If you are planning to deploy FC in NPV mode, it is not dependent on FCoE NPV mode of operation and hence not required to enable FCoE NPV.

===>> Enabling FCoE NPV mode in N5K

Enabling FCoE-NPV ( single command ) does not require reboot.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus5500/sw/san_switching/602_N1_1/b_5500_SAN_Switching_Config_602N11_chapter_0101.html#concept_53768C479D344CCD84AE88C005CED4F5

You mentioned about UCS server. Are these stand alone rack servers or B series deployment where you have Fabric Interconnect connecting to N5K ?

If it is B-series, nested NPV is not supported and so you cannot have N5K in FC NPV mode.

Would it be possible to share more details about your topology / deployment ?

HTH

Padma

Thankyou. Here is some more information on our environment.

Our legacy system consists of Dell rack servers (The ones that run ESX have HBA's), IBM storage and 2x Brocade 300 SAN switches. The Brocades are not connected, so they run as separate fabrics. Most FC devices have dual-HBA's, so they can connect to both fabrics.

Our new environment (still being built) uses Cisco UCS B series blades, and Nexus 5548 switching. For storage we use NetApp (NFS and CIFS, no FC/FCoE/iSCSI).

We would like to connect the legacy and new environments, so one backup system can be used. I'd like to use FC for our new tape library, and continue using FC for our legacy. I'd like to be able to present storage to ESXi VMs running on the UCS blades.

After doing some research, I think that making the 5k's the 'core' fabric would be best, which means putting the Brocade's into AG Mode (NPV). The FC ports on the 5k's would be in NPIV mode.

As I understand it, the Fabric Interconnects (in end-host mode) are also in NPV. Does this mean I need to use 'feature fcoe' on the 5548's, but not 'feature fcoe-npv'?

Does this plan make sense? Unfortunately I'm a networking guy, not a storage guy, so some of this may be way off.

Thanks again for your help

Hello Luke,

If it is just NFS / CIFS shares to UCS servers via N5K, then you can directly connect FI to Brocade switches.

UCS FI <---- FC ----> Brocade 300

|

| <--- Ethernet --->  N5K <----> Netapp

By default, UCS FI operates in FC NPV ( End host ) mode.

UCS SAN Switch compatibility matrix

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps10477/prod_technical_reference_list.html

N5K - SAN switch compatibility matrix ( FYI )

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/datacenter/mds9000/interoperability/matrix/Matrix7a.html

In this scenario, you do need to enable FCoE or FC NPv on the N5K.

Since I am not aware of complete migration plan and your requirements, it would be good to have a discussion with Cisco Sales team.

HTH

Padma

Thank you. This makes sense.

[EDIT] 

In this scenario, you do NOT need to enable FCoE or FC NPv on the N5K.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: