cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

NX-OS only allows logins on even numbered attempts

LADViscsi
Level 1
Level 1

I am having a strange issue with my MDS 9148. We are running NX-OS 5.2 (6a).

When I attempt to log into the switch via SSH, the initial login password will be rejected, even if it is correct. The second login attempt will be accepted.

If you make a mistake on the second login attempt, the third attempt is also rejected, even if correct. In short, odd numbered login attempts (1st, 3rd) are rejected out of hand, and you can only log into the switch on even numbered attempts (2nd, 4th).

My test automation is impacted by this issue as we need to log into the seed switch to do command line zoning to access our targets and test our driver stacks with storage IO to FC luns.

I have stopped the SSH server and restarted it.

I have stopped the SSH server, deleted the SSH key, regenerated the SSH key, and restarted the SSH Server

I have rebooted the switch.

So far no luck in changing this behavior. I suppose I could try a firmware upgrade, but I want to be sure I need to do that before going down that path.

Any ideas?

2 Replies 2

dakester
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

The fix for this bug, might fix the issue you have.

NX-OS 5.2(6b) Release Notes

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/datacenter/mds9000/sw/5_2/release/notes/nx-os/mds_nxos_rn_526b.html#wp916553

CSCuc03438

Symptom: The first SSH login on a Cisco MDS 9100 or 9200 Series switch always fails.

Workaround: This issue is resolved

Regards,

David.

Nice. I'll give this a try and report back.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: