cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Ping latency high in one direction and intermittent

rongipp1961
Level 1
Level 1

I have a customer with a WAN link 280 miles apart. Us (the Vendor) have an IP address on each side both on the same subnet on an isolated VLAN. Pings from site A to site B

are around 8ms consistently with no drops.

Pings from site B to site A vary from 8ms to 750ms. When I run a 64 byte 1 packet ping every 5 seconds I see the 10 latest ping reply times of

: 9ms, 9ms, 32ms, 14ms, 264ms, 13ms, 36ms, 19ms, 17ms, 254ms.

My natural reaction is to take a network trace. The issue is on the remote side (site B) there's only our equipment on the IP network. We don't have a tcptrace capability.

I would also like to ping between other IP addresses at site A or site B, but the customer doesn't have any other IP addresses on this VLAN. If I don't have any other way to

solve this I'm thinking I need to get the customer to assign an IP address to the VLAN on each side.

I'm looking for suggestions on what could be causing a longer ping time in one direction. I've doubled checked the speed/duplex settings on the interfaces and switch ports. We're not

getting any dropped packets or other errors on the switch ports. I've checked the subnet masks. It's possible we have a duplicate IP address or bad arp entry. But it happens when I ping

two different IP address on site A (from site B).

0 Replies 0
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: