Views
Helpful
Replies

San interoperability between MDS and Brocade switches

cineca
Level 1
Level 1

Hello to the community,

I'm working on a SAN built by scratch using MDS switches and I need to integrate some brocade switches installed on bladecenters.

At first I decided to built two vsan, one for the "Cisco-only" vsan and one for the interoperable one to overcome limitations due to the interoperability mode.

Then I started configuring a pilot, following this document 

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/mds9000/interoperability/guide/interopgd/ICG_brmc.html

and I discovered that interop mode 1 is the default for Cisco MDS.

What I understand now is that the only real limitation given to Cisco MDS by interoperability is the domain id, and that I can't use port channels, but only towards other vendor switches.

Is this correct? If it is, I suppose I'll use just one vsan.

Thank you very much and regards to all.

Denis

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Walter Dey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Denis

my 2c; I would not recommend using any interop mode; interop mode 1 is the classical one, with almost zero Features. 

Are you sure that Brocade still supports  interop mode ? and if yes, how long ?

Your use case: why are you not using Brocade Switches in the blade Chassis with NPV mode, connecting them to MDS in NPIV mode.

This is industry Standard, and works ok

Walter.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Walter Dey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Denis

my 2c; I would not recommend using any interop mode; interop mode 1 is the classical one, with almost zero Features. 

Are you sure that Brocade still supports  interop mode ? and if yes, how long ?

Your use case: why are you not using Brocade Switches in the blade Chassis with NPV mode, connecting them to MDS in NPIV mode.

This is industry Standard, and works ok

Walter.

Thank you Walter, I didn't think about NPIV, as I am not used to these interop issues.

But now I think I'll try it. Your recommendation sounds good to me.

Denis

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card