Views
Helpful
Replies

SAN to SAN Replication over Point-to-Point Link

netbeginner
Level 2
Level 2

Dear Experts,

We have SAN at our Primary data Center Site and Secondary data Center site (long distance approx. 1500 km). For San-2-San replication we are planning to own dedicated point-to-point connectivity from service provide as it is recommended as best way for storage replication, infact I have seen some working data center on point-to-point link.

Could you please suggest me the advantages of point-to-point link over MPLS/WAN link for replication.

Rgds

5 Replies 5

Walter Dey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I assume you mean asynchronous mirroring over FCIP ?

So your question is: FCIP over a dedicated point to point link or over a IP cloud ?

My 2c

What is the MTBF of a 1500 km point to point link ? In the case of a IP cloud, you have built in redundancy (rerouting), in case of a network failure.

Latency (hop count) for asynch. mirroring is not critical.

I have done many FCIP asynch. installations over a service provider IP cloud, between 200 and 1000+ km distance.

Dear Experts,

From P2P link , here I mean dedicated L3 connectivity between primary site & secondary site.

My simple question was which one is best and recommended for storage data replication. A MPLS link or P2P(L3) link & why ?

Rgds

Hi,

P2P could be MPLS and could be dark fiber, i assume you mean dark fiber which is best.

Bro

New Implementation of P2P of the Provider either what called EoMPLS which is MPLS implentation of P2P,Dark Fiber link which is costly or DWDM (Multiplexer) links.

The selection of the link type will decided for you what type of replication you should use like

FCIP or Native FC-FC.

FC traffic over this distance is most likely an illusion. It has to be a active optical network with optical amplifiers, which is quite expensive; and BB credits you require per FC port for eg. 1000km

1G FC       500

2GFC       1000

4GFC       2000

8GFC       4000

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: