cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Split VSAN

User_4444_2
Level 1
Level 1

We have a VSAN that span across two sites and we want to split it so we keep the original VSAN (44) in site one but in site two create a new VSAN (88) and make the members of the old VAN members of the new. We use Basic Zones.

I see the steps as follows:

Create VSAN 88 in site two and import (copy) all the Alias & Zones for site two hosts from VSAN 44 into it. Change VSAN membership from 44 to 88.

Add VSAN 88 into ISL Trunk.

All the hosts in site two using VSAN 44 (they have two paths) remove from VSAN 44, delete Alias & Zones.

Change VSAN Ports from 44 to 88 for each host in site two.

Anything else?

4 Replies 4

dynamoxxx
Level 5
Level 5

a couple of questions

1) right now you have two sites, connected via DWDM/FCIP and you have VSAN 44 merged between the two locations. Does each location have storage arrays ?

2) Will servers in VSAN 44 need to connect to storage/tape in VSAN 88 and vise versa.

3) do you plan on doing it online, one fabric at a time ? Does your host have multipathing software ?

@dynamoxxx

@dynamoxxx

1)  Yes we have a Storage Array in each site, we run Active/Passive so the hosts in the second site can be powered down

2) Tape library is in another VSAN, so the servers only connect to the Storage Array

3) Yes, we will do one fabric at a time. Yes, the hosts are using Multipathing software

I might leave the hosts Alias & Zones in the original VSAN for rollback purposes.

i see no issues with your approach. One thing to consider is if you have any HPUX or AIX servers as they are very sensitive to fcid change and will require manual intervention.

You also mentioned that you will trunk VSAN 88 ? Why ?

@dynamoxxx

@dynamoxxx

After thinking about it, your right I don't need to trunk VSAN 88 as the ISL and replication are on in different VSAN's.

Thanks