Views
Helpful
Replies

UCS boot from FCoE

Mordechay Amir
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

I am trying to boot UCS B200 M3 server from SAN.I am using FCoE uplinks from the FI (6248) to Nexus 5K (5548P). the 5K is connected to an MDS switch with FC ports and the storage is attached to the same MDS switch.(the topology is UCS->N5K->MDS->storage).

boot policy, zoning, vsan etc.. is configured and checked.

when the server boots I can see its flogi and I can see the pwwn of the server on the MDS under the fcns database ans also under the active zoneset marked with *

MDS1# sh zoneset active
zoneset name ZS_VSAN20 vsan 20
  zone name blade1 vsan 20
  * fcid 0x9b0000 [pwwn 50:06:01:68:3d:e0:3f:77] //storage
  * fcid 0xc70023 [pwwn 20:01:00:25:b5:c0:00:01] //server 

However, the server does not see any LUN and fails to load the OS.

as a workaround I configured an FC port from the FI to the MDS and disabled the FCoE uplink so the SAN topology is UCS->MDS->storage.

from this kind of topology, the server successfully booted the OS. 

Any thoughts?

7 Replies 7

Walter Dey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Is the N5k in Npv mode ? The pwwn for the hba looks strange ?

Hi Walter,

The 5K is in NPIV mode as the FIs is in end-host-mode which is NPV mode.

as for the pwwn, this is the pwwn of the server and as I said, if I'm bypassing the 5K by connecting the FI directly to the MDS using FC ports, it works (without changing anything on the service profile or zoning).

Hi Amir

You try to do

UCS-(FCoE)>N5K-(FC)>MDS-(FC)>storage

Therefore your N5k has to be Setup for FC and FCoE.

Why not do

UCS-(FC)>N5K-(FC)>MDS-(FC)>storage

It's much easier and it will work for sure !

Walter.

Hi Walter,

this is a LAB setup not real live environment. I am trying to build all possible scenarios and this setup is the only one that I'm having difficulties.

I have already managed to create your suggested topology and even same topology based on iSCSI.

Hi Amir

If you want to test FCoE, you Need a FCoE capable Storage Array and/or Switch (e.g. N5k).

Kind Regards

Walter.

The storage does not have to be FCoE capable. The nexus 5K is translating FCoE frames to native FC frames that are coming from the server to the storage and vice versa. The storage array does not aware that the initiator is FCoE or FC server.

yes of course;

I was referring to direct storage attachment to FI, by means of FCoE, without a Switch.

I would never do hybrid configuration with FCoE and classical FC ! if FCoE, then end to end !