cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Use UCS Fabric Interconnect 6100 with Extension Module E0060 (6 FC Ports)

rgherbi82
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Everybody,

I have problem in my Architecture !!!   I THINK

I want to use Extension Module E0060 (6 FC Ports) for UCS Fabric Interconnect 6100 for interconnectiong my Storage Array ( 2 Controlers with 2 FC Ports by cont.)  instead of use Nexus 5000 between FI 6100 and my Storage Array

I tried to find details or case study for this way but No thing find !!!!!!!!!!!!

I just find that th e best practices is to use Nexus 5000 but I have enough FC Ports with this Module ......  I THINK   but I m not an Expert

Thanks for your help.

4 Replies 4

mipetrin
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Rafik,

That topology is still not fully supported unless you have a Nexus 5000 or MDS 9000 switch northbound of the UCS Fabric Interconnects.

See note 3 of the  UCS Storage Interoperability Matrix

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/datacenter/mds9000/interoperability/matrix/Matrix8.html

"Direct-Attached FC storage to 6120XP/6140XP/6248UP is supported  in release 1.4(1) and higher. However, it is restricted to topologies in  which the zoning database is provided from an upstream Cisco MDS 9000  switch or Nexus 5000 or 5500 switch."

Hope this helps to clarify.

Thanks,

Michael

Thanks for your answer Michael,

But I really don't understand why I can't use the Module E0060 (6 FC Ports) in the FI 61xx instead of NEXUS 500 (I hope that's not commercial goal ) ????

As you now the hardware architecture of FI 61xx is the same that Nexus 5000, the difference is that 61xx have features added and UCS Manager embedded.

Now, If they have a features limited in 61xx like NPV or other things, I wil understand But until this moment I don't find Real ANswer in Cisco site of forum ( Al cisco documents mentionned that the best practices and the perfect design is to use 61xx and Nexus 5000 and MDS Switch between UCS and Storage Array ???????

I Hope that you understand my problem

I find begin of answer , I Think !!!!

Thanks Michael, I based on your document

That's one od the reason that I have o add Nexus 5000 or MDS :

Direct-Attached FC storage to  6120XP/6140XP/6248UP is supported in release 1.4(1) and higher. However,  it is restricted to topologies in which the zoning database is provided  from an upstream Cisco MDS 9000 switch or Nexus 5000 or 5500 switch

Now I will add two Nexus 5000 to my architecture

Hi Rafik,

Unfortunately, at this present time, no zoning is exposed on the Fabric Interconnect in addition to there being no local FC services. This are some of the reasons why you are required to have the upstream N5K/MDS in order to allow zoneset merges.

Thanks,

Michael

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: