cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VSAN Segmentation When Switch is Removed

wosuser2009
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 9513 and a 9509 ISL'd in a single fabric. The Eports are in VSAN 2, and all the zones are in VSAN 1. ( I know this is not best practice, and is going to be fixed)  Anyway, after making the 9513 the principle switch, and shutting down all blades in the 9509, VSAN 1 segments in Fabric Manager. I have done the following so far:

made the 9513 the principle switch

checked every zone in the zone set for VSAN 1 for discrepencies between what is contained in each switch. they are identical.

I don't know how to keep the VSAN from segmenting.

Can anybody help?

Thanks,

Bob

8 Replies 8

dynamoxxx
Level 5
Level 5

are you trunking VSAN 1 ?

@dynamoxxx

No.. VSAN 1 is not trunked.  VSAN 2 was at one time.  VSAN 2

was used for the ISL Trunk between the switches.  But that trunk has been deleted.  Right now, in order to keep VSAN 1 from segmenting, i have a couple of cables running between the switches as Eports.  But if i remove them, VSAN 1 will segment.

the only time i see vsan 1 segment when physical switch is connected to another switch and vsan 1 is not trunked. In your case it segments even when it's not connected to any other switches ?

@dynamoxxx

Correct... there are only the 2 switches connected.  And if i remove 9509, vsan1 segments..

have you run "show logging logfile" ..and see anything interesting that could be related to segmentation.

@dynamoxxx

Yes..  when i deleted the ISL trunk and shut the ports between the switches.. this is the message that shows up:

2010 Jun 23 05:54:39 NPN-SAN-SW02 %PORT-5-IF_TRUNK_DOWN: %$VSAN 1%$ Interface fc1/1, vsan 1 is down (Gracefully shutdow
n)

it is shutting down VSAN 1.  i'm wonderig if it is just a simple matter of brining VSAN 1 back up...

worth a shot

@dynamoxxx

I got it fixed..  IT ended up that Fabric Manager was just being stupid.  When i was removing the switch from the ISL partnership, fabrci manager was still seeing both sets of zone sets and interpreting that as a "segmented VSAN".  All i had to do was remove bot hswitches from fabric manager and then rediscover just the remaining switch.  problem solved...

Thanks for you help!

Bob

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: