cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VSAN stuck in intializing.

Khansa'a Nasr
Level 1
Level 1

I'm trying to configure a vfc 500 over UCS FI-A with Nexus 5K, please tell me how to recover vsan when it is stuck in "initializing" on Cisco Nexus 5K. ?

Trunk vsans (admin allowed and active) (700)
Trunk vsans (up) ()
Trunk vsans (isolated) ()
Trunk vsans (initializing) (700)

I checked the vlan on access port (which is correct)

and static binding also don't work. eg

vsan database 

vsan 500 int vfc 500

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Walter Dey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Is UCS fabric interconnect in FC End host mode ?

Does the N5k have NPIV feature enabled ?

In which VSAN is the UCS FC port ?

Dito for the Nexus 5k FC port

Is VSAN 700 defined in UCS Manager as well as N5k ?

View solution in original post

Rick1776
Level 5
Level 5
Typically when it's stuck in initializing, no hosts have have tried to login into the fabric with that particular vsan. Also check the bound interface on the UCS to see if both the FC and VFC are up/up. Walter is also correct this will depend on if the UCS is in end-host mode vs switch mode. I'm assuming your in end-host mode.
Does the N5K show the same output.

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Walter Dey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Is UCS fabric interconnect in FC End host mode ?

Does the N5k have NPIV feature enabled ?

In which VSAN is the UCS FC port ?

Dito for the Nexus 5k FC port

Is VSAN 700 defined in UCS Manager as well as N5k ?

You're right !!! I didn't create vsan on UCS.
Thanks a lot for the help.

Awesome, I glad you were able to figure it out. Have a great weekend.

Rick1776
Level 5
Level 5
Typically when it's stuck in initializing, no hosts have have tried to login into the fabric with that particular vsan. Also check the bound interface on the UCS to see if both the FC and VFC are up/up. Walter is also correct this will depend on if the UCS is in end-host mode vs switch mode. I'm assuming your in end-host mode.
Does the N5K show the same output.

Yes you're correct. Thanks a lot.

anbhar
Level 1
Level 1
I am using MDS at My end. not UCS can anyone tell what should i check.

You should check the show flogi database and show vsan membership. This will show you what devices have logged into the SAN if any.

If using npv/npiv:

If no downstream devices are logged in for a particular VSAN, that VSAN stays in initializing state.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus5000/sw/troubleshooting/guide/N5K_Troubleshooting_Guide/n5K_ts_sans.html

Correct, as I said in the answer to this thread most likely the culprit is that your workstation/server is not configured for the corresponding vlan.

Hi All,

Thank you for all the suggestion. I was able to figure it out. It was not related to MDS. I have the HP blade and I have forgot to set the NIC to use FCOE. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: