cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

What are the proper steps to break an ISL between two MDS9132 switches?

adastra
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

What a re the proper steps to break an ISL between two MDS9132 switches?

Is it just as easy as removing the connection between the two, or disabling the trunk port, or there is more than that involved?

Appreciate your input.

5 Replies 5

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

depends on deployment, if the no services critical then your description is correct.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

It was deployed this way before me and I inherited this solution, so I am not sure if there are or there are no critical services. How do I identify them, which services are they? Can you please elaborate? What prep work should I do prior to breaking the ISL? Can you provide more detailed steps please?

most of the questions to be answered by yourself, this is your environment, you need to know what service they are connected.

by the way what is the reason to remove ISL ?  - i would have asked first instance.

BB

The reason for removing the ISL is to create two separate fabrics - fabric A and fabric B, with one switch per fabric. Currently, there is only fabric A, with two member switches ISL'ed.

Give me an example please, what services you are talking about - SAN, storage, server, or app services? A little more details please regarding "services".

The reason for removing the ISL is to create two separate fabrics - fabric A and fabric B, with one switch per fabric. Currently, there is only fabric A, with two member switches ISL'ed.

If you made a decision to split, if the device connected dual-homed, then you can split the devices as you desired to do.

Give me an example please, what services you are talking about - SAN, storage, server, or app services? A little more details please regarding "services".

Services - the device connected to these switches and what is the service you hosted to pass the traffic using these switches.

BB

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: