cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Zone message on MDS 9148

healyj4
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,  Customer noted the following message on an MDS 9148 as follows:

'zone: num_tlv greater than 1, num_tlv is 120434'

Switch is running NX-OS 5.2.2d

Thanks and rgds,

Jim

8 Replies 8

bidougla
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hey Jim!

We've seen this message intermittantly in the field,  mostly when diagnosing other issues in a fabric and notice it as an aside.  So far, it seems to only be showing up on MDS 9148 switches at the 5.2(2d) level.  Because it's non-impacting and was not related to the current customer issue TAC was working on at the time, none of the customers were willing to troubleshoot it further.   Do you think your customer would be willing to take the time to look into this further?  We would need expand the internal event-history (trace) buffers and monitor for the message to be issued.  When it is, show the expanded event-history ("show zone internal event-history") along with a "show tech-support detail" & "show logging onboard" (for completeness) to see if we can get closer to this one...

Let me know...

Best regards,

Bill

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the feedback, I'm waiting on cuatomer response. Once I get the goahead I'll open a TAC

Best rgds,

Jim.

Sweet!  Ping me one way or another when you hear from the customer. 

I will be in training next week, but would like to be the one working this one if at all possible...

Thanks,

Bill

Just one Question , you stated 'We would need expand the internal event-history (trace) buffers and monitor for the message to be issued',how do we accomplish this.

Thanks,

Jim.

Open the case and I'll show you...  ;-)

LuisVelez1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Jim,

Did you ever get  an answer for your problem? I also have a 9148 that is showing message 'zone: num_tlv greater than 1, num_tlv is 120434' in the logging log.

Hi Luis,

Cisco have stated that The "zone: num_tlv greater than 1, num_tlv is 120434" debug message was added in NX-OS as  developers were trying to debug another issue.

The message is an informational message that is printed when a zoning software module receives an update from Line card (in response to a programming instruction from zone software module) and reads it and just for logging purposes prints that it received a Type Length Value (tlv) greater than XXXXX.

Again, this message has no functional impact and can be ignored. If there are issues observed by your customer due to these messages, do let me know details

Thanks,

Jim.

We have not observed any issue with this message. It does appear to just be an informational message and I we will dismiss it. I really appreciate your help.

Thanks,

Luis