Views
Helpful
Replies

ZONE,VSAN,IVR

a7_seven7
Level 1
Level 1

i tryed to ask my question in scenario:

please consider two seprate switch:SW1 and SW2.

we create VSAN2 and define "zone a" and "zone b" on SW1 and  we create

VSAN3 and define "zone c" and "zone a" on SW2

Now, we connect via trunk link these two switches together. and then

we run Routing on these switches like IVR. now please answer these

questions:

1) consider host1 is connected to SW1 and this host is connected to VSAN2 (zone a) and this host try to see host2. host2 is connected to  VSAN3 (zone c)in SW2.IVR is run on both SW1 and SW2. Now is this possible for host1 to see host 2?

2) how about if one device connected to SW1 in VSAN2 (zone a) and this device is trying to see another device connected to SW2 in VSAN3 (zone a). IVR is running on both switch.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

bfeeny
Level 1
Level 1

With your first scenario, yes you can have the hosts talk, but it won't be using either of the existing zones.  You create a new zone, an IVR Zone, which zones what you want in VSAN2 to talk to what in VSAN3.  Regular zones are irrelevant outside of their respective VSANs.  The same thing is true for your point #2.  Yes IVR will allow a host in one VSAN to access a target in a different VSAN.  What zones these objects are members of does not matter, so long as a new zone is created that is an IVR Zone which contains the objects.  IVR zones are a bit different than regular zones, with an IVR zone you don't just specify the device itself but you specify its VSAN.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

bfeeny
Level 1
Level 1

With your first scenario, yes you can have the hosts talk, but it won't be using either of the existing zones.  You create a new zone, an IVR Zone, which zones what you want in VSAN2 to talk to what in VSAN3.  Regular zones are irrelevant outside of their respective VSANs.  The same thing is true for your point #2.  Yes IVR will allow a host in one VSAN to access a target in a different VSAN.  What zones these objects are members of does not matter, so long as a new zone is created that is an IVR Zone which contains the objects.  IVR zones are a bit different than regular zones, with an IVR zone you don't just specify the device itself but you specify its VSAN.

Dear friend, thank you for your reply. could you introduce me good refrence or book about cisco SAN switches design and configure. specially SAN routing and design solutions. because i dint find any study guide on cisco press

The best thing for you would be to read the configuration guides on cisco.com for either SAN-OS or NX-OS depending on which you are using.  There are some CiscoPress books on storage and they can be good to give you the basics and information about FC protocol in general.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: