cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

2 Switches in One? [300 series] Want to have two uplinks/trunks.

malocchio
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 300 series switch with VLAN1 untagged, VLAN 15,5,100 tagged.  I want say ports 1-12 to use one uplink/trunk and 13-24 to use another uplink. All ports should have the same default VLAN1 and be tagged for 5,15,100.  I'm trying to ease the load on two wireless uplinks(one is a Cisco 1242AG and the other is a UBNT PowerBridge.) I don't want to add another switch. Is this possible?

Model:

SF 300-24P

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello Derek,

Thank you for using the community forum.

It looks like you would be creating a loop. This would cause Spanning-Tree to kick in and prevent the loop by shutting down one of the Trunk ports. You can load balance at layer 2 but it requires balancing by vlan. So you would need to send 1,5 across one trunk and 15, 100 across the other. Would this be a posibility?

Cisco Small Business Support Center

Randy Manthey

CCNA, CCNA - Security

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

rmanthey
Level 4
Level 4

Hello Derek,

Can you provide a topology of your intended design?

Randy Manthey

CCNA, CCNA - Security

Bad diagram.  Should be matching pairs of 1242AG and UBNT bridges.

Campus --> switch --> 1242 root --> 1242 non-root --> 300 switch --> phones and computers

The UBNT link is coming from the same switch the 1242 root-bridge is connected to.  I don't want a loop though.

Basically I want switch 2 and 4 to be one switch but act as 2.

Hello Derek,

It looks like you would be creating a loop. This would cause Spanning-Tree to kick in and prevent the loop by shutting down one of the Trunk ports. You can load balance at layer 2 but it requires balancing by vlan. So you would need to send 1,5 across one trunk and 15, 100 across the other. Would this be a posibility?

Randy Manthey

CCNA, CCNA - Security

Sometimes I really miss the obvious thing.  Of course, yes, trunk the VLANs separately. That makes sense.

Separate trunks for the traffic would cut down on congestion.