cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Abort from tftp server

BetterCallSol
Level 1
Level 1

On both SG200 26P and SG300 and 28P switch web UIs I have been having this issue. When trying to utilise download or backup to a tftp server I keep getting this:

Error MessageAbort from tftp server

This has happened on different versions of the firmware and boot code since i tried it before and after upgrading one of them. 

The server is definitely working as have been able to upgrade some switches but when it comes to backing up running or startup configs it just doesn't seem to work. Have searched for this error but not much out there. Have tried changing the file path in the server, ensuring the file exist before attempting backup, everything I can think of. If anyone can point me to where I might be going wrong that would be much appreciated! 

Many thanks - a cisco noobie 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Thanks for the input guys - really appreciate the help. 

I was using the Mac tftp server which has no log output since it's sandboxed away from sys logs. I went on a roundabout journey to instruct the plist to output sys log info which gave me minimal information. In the end I was apple to backup the config files by creating the file before hand using programs "create file" function (rather than just creating it manually and ensuring the name was correct). It seems to give it some special treatment when attempting to write from the source when creating via the server program (a head slap moment). Anyway this seems to have solved it for me and would most likely have been a lot quicker if I was doing it on windows with tftpd and able to view logs. 

As for the HTTP(S) option this still did not work but presumable is a cert issues or something but can definitely do it via tftp (its definitely not just for uploading firmware as mentioned above). 

Much appreciated guys. 

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

psandel
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Sir,

My name is Puneet Sandel and I am from Cisco small business technical support center.

You will need to choose transfer method as HTTP/HTTPS instead of TFTP.

Downloading device config is done via HTTP/HTTPS. TFTP is only used for upgrading boot code.

In case of any issues, feel free to post your query in the thread.

Thank you for choosing Cisco. Have a great day.

Regards,

Puneet Sandel

Technical Consulting Engineer-Level 2

Global CX Centers – Small Business Support

Thank you very much for your reply, I have tried using the HTTP function instead and it provides a download file that the browser seems to not be able to download properly. The download begins and then stops only downloading 1KB. I am curious why the user interface provides an option to download files via TFTP if this is not possible. If you know a reason why the files will not download properly please let me know that would be much appreciated

> If you know a reason why...

Have a look at the (remote) tftp(d) server's log(s) when you get the error on the cisco device, check if there are any errors.

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

Pease try using a different tftp(d) version. We have seen cases where changing Tftp(d) version helped many customers.

Also share the error in the tftp(d) sp that the same can be analysed.

In case you face issue the server is not reachable then it may be because of a firewall or may be because of tftp(d) version.

Regards,

Puneet Sandel

Technical Consulting Engineer-Level 2

Global CX Centers – Small Business Support

Thanks for the input guys - really appreciate the help. 

I was using the Mac tftp server which has no log output since it's sandboxed away from sys logs. I went on a roundabout journey to instruct the plist to output sys log info which gave me minimal information. In the end I was apple to backup the config files by creating the file before hand using programs "create file" function (rather than just creating it manually and ensuring the name was correct). It seems to give it some special treatment when attempting to write from the source when creating via the server program (a head slap moment). Anyway this seems to have solved it for me and would most likely have been a lot quicker if I was doing it on windows with tftpd and able to view logs. 

As for the HTTP(S) option this still did not work but presumable is a cert issues or something but can definitely do it via tftp (its definitely not just for uploading firmware as mentioned above). 

Much appreciated guys. 

Hi,

Thank you for the update on the same. Please mark the thread as solution so it may help others too.

Regards,

Puneet Sandel

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Switch products supported in this community
Cisco Business Product Family
  • CBS110
  • CBS220
  • CBS250
  • CBS350
Cisco Switching Product Family
  • 350X
  • 550X