cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CBS350-48P-4X Best Practice for using 10GB ports

crlowe
Level 1
Level 1

I just purchased 4 CBS350-48P-4X switches.  They are installed in two separate network cabinets about 30' apart, two on 1st floor and two on 2nd floor.  All have 10GB SPF+ transceiver modules in the 10GB ports.  All 10GB ports are configured as stacking and connected using Cat6a cables.  They are currently configured in a single stack ring, Master and Backup in one cabinet and Slave and Slave in another cabinet.  Would it be better to configure as 2 stacks, a Master and Backup in each cabinet, then connect the switches with the remaining 10GB ports configured as network or uplink ports instead of stacking ports?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

according to your explanation, i guess you configured 2 x 10G ports from each switch for stacking and used ring topology to stacking. since you have 4 switches backplane stack traffic is distributing evenly.

also as you mentioned, you can have 2 stacks in two cabinets and configure LACP using 2 x 10G (20G port channel) ports between stacks. 

if you have stacked all 4 switches, you have single management plane for all 4 switches. if you create 2 stacks , management need to do in 2 management planes.

below link also will help you to get idea about two connectivity methods.

https://medium.com/@AriaZhu/switch-stacking-vs-uplink-which-is-better-for-connecting-switches-2406c78a12a5

Good luck

rate and mark as answer i this resolved your concern

KB

Please rate this and mark as solution/answer, if this resolved your issue
Good luck
KB

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Hi,

according to your explanation, i guess you configured 2 x 10G ports from each switch for stacking and used ring topology to stacking. since you have 4 switches backplane stack traffic is distributing evenly.

also as you mentioned, you can have 2 stacks in two cabinets and configure LACP using 2 x 10G (20G port channel) ports between stacks. 

if you have stacked all 4 switches, you have single management plane for all 4 switches. if you create 2 stacks , management need to do in 2 management planes.

below link also will help you to get idea about two connectivity methods.

https://medium.com/@AriaZhu/switch-stacking-vs-uplink-which-is-better-for-connecting-switches-2406c78a12a5

Good luck

rate and mark as answer i this resolved your concern

KB

Please rate this and mark as solution/answer, if this resolved your issue
Good luck
KB

crlowe
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you.  I will leave the stacked ring configuration as is.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Switch products supported in this community
Cisco Business Product Family
  • CBS110
  • CBS220
  • CBS250
  • CBS350
Cisco Switching Product Family
  • 350X
  • 550X