Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 3750 Switches for Business

Can a 3750 Switches be used in a businesses today? If so, can someone let me know if it will slow our computers while using the Internet?.  My internet speed is 300megs down, but the switches are only 10/100 speed?  Sorry for the dumb question, but I cannot find a direct answer after searching.  

Thank you

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Deepak Kumar
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

Can we use 3750 in the business today? My answer is yes, we can but as this switch is 10/100Mbps only then it may become a bottleneck for your internet or LAN speed. As you mentioned that you have 300Mbps internet speed then this switch will be a bottleneck for you as you will get only 100Mbps internet speed on your laptop or desktops. It will be wast of internet speed and money. Today, LAN and WAN demand more speed and better performance.

But it is true that there is no impact on the business (if you using 100Mbps switch) if your application or LAN/WAN speed will not demands more then 90Mbps speed at a time as a shared pipeline. 

Upgrading the Cisco 2960 series or 9200 series may expensive for your company (Not sure about the budget) then you can choose any SG550 series switches. That small business switches are cheaper with good performance.  

Regards,
Deepak Kumar,
Don't forget to vote and accept the solution if this comment will help you!

View solution in original post

Thank you so much Mr. Kumar!!  I totally understand better now!!.  I appreciate the explanation.  Now I really understand.  I was only thinking the of the 3750, bc I am working on my Cisco labs so I can attain my cert this year, and I was hoping at the same time we would be able to utilize them here at work.  I guess in I was trying to kill to birds with one stone, but now I see it would be a waste.  

PS.  Can I still use the other switches you mentioned for study, or do u think I need to use the old ones for the exam?  

Thank you again!!

Hi,

The switch 3750 is still valid for CCNA and CCNP study but you need upgraded firmware version. As you are a student then it is advised to use it or if you want to buy more switches for lab then search for old switches and routers on ebuy.com. You will find CCNP labs (router, switches, cables) within 500$.

Regards,
Deepak Kumar,

12 Replies 12

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@miguelsanchez623984559 wrote:
Can a 3750 Switches be used in a businesses today?

There's nothing wrong with a 3750 as long as the firmware is updated.

@miguelsanchez623984559 wrote:
My internet speed is 300megs down, but the switches are only 10/100 speed?

Is there a business need for users to be able to access the internet at >100 Mbps?

Well some people here needs a nice fast speed for certain things they do, thats why I asked.  I wasn't sure if using cat6 cable, along with our ISP router would help increase the speed, or if the switch only ran at the fastest speed its ports say.  Thank you for the reply. 

If there is a business need to upgrade the switch to 1 Gbps then go for it.

I am sure the boss will eventually upgrade to a 1GB switch in the near future, but I was asking some questions so I can learn along the way.  As I mentioned earlier, I was trying to find out if the 1GB Router, and 300mb internet speed could help the Switch / Computers connected to it with speed.  Or are the ports only as fast as the 10/100 speed?  Hopefully I am making sense. If not, I apologize!

Well, if I wanted to be a d1ck PEDANTIC about it ... It doesn't make any sense about 1 Gbps port just to "test something".
There is not a lot of intensive application that can support >100 Mbps in a SUSTAINED rate.
And there is no evidence (yet) that 100 Mbps ports are hampering the operation of the business.
300 Mbps internet speed is "nothing": Even if the switch gets upgraded to 1 Gbps, the 300 Mbps is a "shared" data rate, i. e. no one will be "hogging" the entire 290 Mbps for him/her self.

I am not sure what I said wrong Leo, but what ever it was I sincerely apologize.  I am just in the process of trying to learn in my new position and thats why I asked the question.  I was told that this was a good forum to get help and ask questions, but maybe I was misguided.  Forgive me.  Again I am very sorry and I will not ask stupid questions anymore.  

@miguelsanchez623984559 wrote:
I am not sure what I said wrong Leo, but what ever it was I sincerely apologize. 

Apologies is mine.  What I meant was "if I wanted to be PEDANTIC about it".  
I didn't mean YOU.  I meant ME.  

@miguelsanchez623984559 wrote
I am just in the process of trying to learn in my new position and thats why I asked the question.

Cisco switches are very, very expensive.  A lot of small business cannot afford to get Enterprise-grade equipment.  Plain 3750 is very, very old.  There's a reason why the owner didn't upgrade the unit.
Look at how the 300 Mbps comes in to the switch.  If incoming port is just on a 100 Mbps then the 300 Mbps link is wasted.  If the incoming port is one of the two 1 Gbps then the 300 Mbps is "shared" among the users.
Going back to my previous comment, I don't believe a single user is "hogging" a chunk of the 300 Mbps link.  There is also not a lot of application that has a sustained requirement of >100 Mbps either.

Oh ok.  I misunderstood.  Thank you. I appreciate you helping me.  👍😁

Deepak Kumar
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

Can we use 3750 in the business today? My answer is yes, we can but as this switch is 10/100Mbps only then it may become a bottleneck for your internet or LAN speed. As you mentioned that you have 300Mbps internet speed then this switch will be a bottleneck for you as you will get only 100Mbps internet speed on your laptop or desktops. It will be wast of internet speed and money. Today, LAN and WAN demand more speed and better performance.

But it is true that there is no impact on the business (if you using 100Mbps switch) if your application or LAN/WAN speed will not demands more then 90Mbps speed at a time as a shared pipeline. 

Upgrading the Cisco 2960 series or 9200 series may expensive for your company (Not sure about the budget) then you can choose any SG550 series switches. That small business switches are cheaper with good performance.  

Regards,
Deepak Kumar,

Thank you so much Mr. Kumar!!  I totally understand better now!!.  I appreciate the explanation.  Now I really understand.  I was only thinking the of the 3750, bc I am working on my Cisco labs so I can attain my cert this year, and I was hoping at the same time we would be able to utilize them here at work.  I guess in I was trying to kill to birds with one stone, but now I see it would be a waste.  

PS.  Can I still use the other switches you mentioned for study, or do u think I need to use the old ones for the exam?  

Thank you again!!

Hi,

The switch 3750 is still valid for CCNA and CCNP study but you need upgraded firmware version. As you are a student then it is advised to use it or if you want to buy more switches for lab then search for old switches and routers on ebuy.com. You will find CCNP labs (router, switches, cables) within 500$.

Regards,
Deepak Kumar,

Thank you Mr. Kumar, I will.  I will only use what I have to study (3750), and take your advise and look for 1gb switches, so we get the best out of our internet speed and it doesn't bottle neck.  It all makes much more sense now.  Thank you.  I will also make sure I update the firmware as you suggested:)  

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Switch products supported in this community
Cisco Business Product Family
  • CBS110
  • CBS220
  • CBS250
  • CBS350
Cisco Switching Product Family
  • 350X
  • 550X