cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco CBS350 High CPU

groupccologin
Level 1
Level 1

I've recently deployed a 2x CBS350-48FP-4X stack and the CPU is pinned at 100% during production hours. There's a 2x CBS350-24FP-4X stack in the same location at the access layer with an almost identical config and that thing is fine.

This problem exists on 3.2 and 3.3 (the latest as of writing this) firmwares.

The stack is based in a hub office and the config isn't complicated, it has 9 APs, 2 firewalls in HA, 2 routers in HA, a couple of door entry controllers, a cctv dvr, a couple of ACLs and 1 static route. There are no cameras plugged into the switch.

When bandwidth testing, the switch actually is moving traffic at wire speed so I don't know whether I'm over thinking this, but the management plane and cli are awfully slow and my monitoring looks bad with the processor pinned all day!

We have tried all sorts now:

Temperatures are fine

I've rebooted it

There are no loops (I've also switched between MST and RPVST) and the appropriate ports are set to PortFast.

I've tried SNMPv2, v3 or just disabled it altogether

Disabled SmartPort thingy, GVRP, sFlow, Bonjour, loop-back detection, link-flap detection, storm-control. If it's useful, assume I've turned it off and on and observed the results, but I'm very open to more ideas!

We're not using the Business Dashboard

Typically there's a max of ~180 addresses in the mac address table

No jumbo frames are hitting the switch

None of the interfaces have errors or are flapping

I've raised a case with Cisco TAC, however they've suggested rebuilding the switch, virus scanning the switch (yuh huh) and I've been sent lots of IOS based device troubleshooting articles and YouTube videos and they've told us the switch hardware might not be powerful enough which is rubbish because the switches are moving considerably less traffic than the Dell stack they just replaced.

All in all Cisco support has been poor to date . I guess these switches are deemed the cheaper option and that is most defintely reflected in the support.

Thanks in advance

2 Replies 2

KJK99
Level 1
Level 1

@groupccologin 

Are you saying that one switch in the stack is at v3.2 and the other at v3.3? If you stack CBS350 switches, they should be running the same version of the firmware.

Kris K

Sorry if it wasnt clear both in the stack are v3.3

Damian

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Switch products supported in this community
Cisco Business Product Family
  • CBS110
  • CBS220
  • CBS250
  • CBS350
Cisco Switching Product Family
  • 350X
  • 550X